AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here are the quick facts:

Buying either a 42ST30 or 46ST30.

I will be using it for PS3 and 360 gaming about 70% of the time and Blu-ray/cable HD for the other 30%

I sit about 6.5 - 7.0 feet away from the screen.

I was originally going to buy the 42 inch model but am now thinking to just get the 46 inch one. My main concern is that since I don't sit that far away from the screen, my games will actually look worse on the 46 incher than the 42 inch model.

Since most games are 720p and are upconverted to 1080p, I am guessing that I would be better off with a 42 inch model with the distance that I sit from.

Please help guys. Especially gamers that know what I am talking about.

·
Banned
250 Posts
If you can afford it, I'd get the 46" just for future proofing.

No matter what, console games will look bad on it. Well for me they are.....

Most console games are 720p and a lot even less than that. They get upscaled on the 1080p screen and look very blurry and have jaggies. Its drives me crazy.... I cannot wait for the new systems to get native 1080p games.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
A lot of it comes down to personal preference. I have a 55 inch G10 and I sit about 5 feet away on a recliner. I bought my tv primarily for gaming and maybe I've been spoiled but if I play on a smaller screen at a friends house, I feel like I'm at a disadvantage.

I advise people that bigger is better in 99% of scenarios. You'll never feel bad about having a screen that is too big, but your perception of your screen size will diminish with time and if you go smaller when you could have gone larger, I think you will regret it.

It also depends on what kinds of games you play. If you are playing anything competitively, a bigger screen will allow you to see more.

Go big if you can.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3reach /forum/post/20836310

I play on a 50" and I find it is harder to play on bigger screens for competitive gaming. The targeting ridicule is a lot bigger and less precise and you have to turn your head left and right, which you dont have to do on smaller screens. All competitive gaming leagues use very small screens for this very reason. Its a lot easier to play on smaller screens.

It's not necessarily for that reason. It's because it's not practical or possible in most cases to outfit every single player with a 50 inch screen. Plus monitors as opposed to tvs have less input lag.

I've played halo competitively and while I agree that the best possible screen is a 24-26 inch monitor, I would never take go back to that after playing on a 54 inch screen. Yes, perhaps if he is extremely serious about playing competitively online, but for anyone else bigger is better.

Im sure you've also noticed that competitive players sit with their faces a foot or less away from the screen. When I played halo on a 24 inch monitor, the screen was about 10 inches from my eyes. A lot of it also depends on the game. With halo or even cod it's not such an issue because the maps are relatively small. I find playing battlefield on a small monitor is almost impossible. The maps are too big and when everything is blown up you have a clear advantage in spotting enemies who otherwise would be tiny pixels if even that.

·
Banned
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 /forum/post/20836392

It's not necessarily for that reason. It's because it's not practical or possible in most cases to outfit every single player with a 50 inch screen. Plus monitors as opposed to tvs have less input lag.

I've played halo competitively and while I agree that the best possible screen is a 24-26 inch monitor, I would never take go back to that after playing on a 54 inch screen. Yes, perhaps if he is extremely serious about playing competitively online, but for anyone else bigger is better.

Im sure you've also noticed that competitive players sit with their faces a foot or less away from the screen. When I played halo on a 24 inch monitor, the screen was about 10 inches from my eyes. A lot of it also depends on the game. With halo or even cod it's not such an issue because the maps are relatively small. I find playing battlefield on a small monitor is almost impossible. The maps are too big and when everything is blown up you have a clear advantage in spotting enemies who otherwise would be tiny pixels if even that.

I agree with you. Smaller screens are for super serious players, but I cant go back either after playing on my 50". Its so much more immersive and cinematic playing games on the big screen like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, and Halo. I just wish the damn new consoles hurry up. It is 2011 and the systems are 6 years old, horribly dated graphics, low resolution, and upscaled blurry, jaggy games. gah, just let them rest now, its time to move on! The tech they have now is light years ahead. Release new consoles with native 1080p games, anti-aliasing and Dx11 cards. I am almost considering switching to pc gaming, but I hate how games arent optimized for your hardware on them.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
FWIW , i bought a 42 and it wasnt long and i wanted bigger , got a 50 panny not evern a year later i bought a 60 and the kids sit like 2 feet away when gaming. Get the biggest you can afford cause im sure they shrink over time

As stated already, no one ever wish's they bought smaller and ya gotta hate buyers remorse .

·
Registered
809 Posts
I sit about 6.5 to 7 feet from my 50 inch st30 and its good.if you can get the 50 inchget the 50 inch. dont get the 42 its to small always go as big as you can because you will regret not geting the 50 if you buy the 46 inch its true

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Same exact PQ just a bigger set? No brainer. Get the bigger set. In the end ou'll regret not getting the bigger set. In time. 46 will seem to small for you as well. Trust me. lol I Started off with 40 thinking it was plenty big enough.... I now have a 120inch theater and a 60inch plasma. lol

·
Registered
933 Posts
I remember when I was looking at tvs in 2008 I was afraid of going "too big" The advice always was if you can afford it and have the space you should go as big as possible (without giving up picture quality of course) I was a little hesitant because I was moving from a 27 inch HD CRT tv and my entire life consisted of growing up with a 13 inch tv as a young kid, to a 19 inch tv as an older kid and a 25 inch tv as I hit adulthood and then to my 27 inch I had.

I ended up getting a 60 inch Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD and I'm REALLY glad I did. Honestly the size wears off very quickly and I would love to move up to something around 75 inches once it becomes available in the quality I want. 50 inch tvs look like monitors to me with all the less screen surface area.

I'm a heavy heavy gamer. I game pretty much daily for hours on end and I sit in my recliner at 7.5 feet away from my 60 inch screen and it feels great. I'm about 10 feet away on my couch and I prefer sitting in my recliner at 7.5 feet. I don't have to turn my head at all and it feels very natural. I think it is very immersive and feels great.

I absolutely love a big screen. I can see details much better. Health bars are bigger. Menu items are easier to read. I just think bigger is absolutely better. I have to bite my tongue at friends and families house because it drives me crazy. I don't even like watching football at my dads house and he has a 52 inch tv.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.