AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 50WE620. SD picture quality is acceptable but nowhere as good as it used to be on my 32 inch XBR.

Would a video processor such as a DVDO Pro or HD offer a significant improvement?

I know that I will never get SD to look as good on the 50WE620 as it used to look on my 32 inch XBR but nevertheless would like to improve it.

· Registered
787 Posts
How do you feed it sd?

Mine is upconverted from the hd stb. This gives me a great picture. Ive tried directly via svideo from my directivo and the results are much worse.

Having the stb upcovert gives me better pq and is less hassle, since i have one source for both hd and sd.

YMMV depending on the box that does the upconversion.

Overall i would say no to the dvdo, both from a performance stand point and ergonomically. Only time my sd looks like pure crap on my gw3 is on super compressed channels on dtv. No dvdo or faroudja can really help with that.

K

· Registered
395 Posts
I input both HD and SD thru my TWC cable box (8000HD) DVR and I don't see the SD quality being that bad when I sit 10-12 feet from the screen. I have a DVDO just sitting around from my front projection LCD setup before I got an HTPC......I might hook it up and see if it's any better. The thing is I'll have to keep switching inputs from cable for HD to the video that uses a 15 pin connector for SD......I don't know if its worth the trouble !!

· Premium Member
10,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arkid
On the specs for the WF and XS it says the set has 3D digital comb filter. How else would this be used if not for composite inputs?
I know exactly what the specs say, but the service manual shows something else. Here is the block diagram. You be the judge.

gwiv block diagram.pdf 59.318359375k . file

Attachments

· Registered
21,221 Posts
I, too, have been satisfied with the PQ of SD transmissions that I have upconverted to 1080i with my HD cable box.

· Premium Member
10,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bcollins
How do you know the block diagram is not wrong?
All information needs to be taken in context. I do not KNOW either to be absolutely correct. The only way to know would be to remove the circuit boards and look.

FACTS:

1. The only place 3D comb is mentioned for these sets is in the specs.

2. Sony frequently copies specs and makes a few mistakes in the process.

3. Sony marketing has mislead in the past when it is to their advantage.

4. The diagram, service menu codes, and drawings in the Sony service manuals for these TV's all seem to reference a 2D chip.

5. The spec sheet for the chip referenced in the service manual does not mention that it is motion adaptive or 3d only that it is adaptive. The description reads like a 2D adaptive filter.

( http://members.rogers.com/tholbrook/pdf/CXD2073Q.pdf ).

6. Service manuals can have mistakes too, but they are not usually consistent throughout the manual.

You can decide to believe the specs. I would go with it probably being a 2D design instead of a motion adaptive 3D.

· Registered
787 Posts
This is all academic if they are not using the composite inputs.

Denis, what are you doing with a non hd dvr? If they have them available in your area, go get it.

If they dont have the dvr version, id say sacrifice the dvr for just an hd box, for now.

Why spend money on dvdo when yer cable co should help u out for free..(relatively cheaply anyway).

K

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am from Montreal, Canada. Contrarily to the US, my local cable company does not rent DVRs. We have to buy them.

As no french canadian station broadcast in HD, I have not bought a 8000 HD yet. I feel I will be stuck with SD for the next few years. That is why I am asking if a video processor would improve my SD picture.

I love the size and the DVD performance of my GWIV. If SD was nicer I would be a happy man.

· Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by umr
I know exactly what the specs say, but the service manual shows something else. Here is the block diagram. You be the judge.
So this diagram is the same for the WE, WF & XS?

I thought the XS was supposed to have different/additional components.

· Premium Member
10,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arkid
So this diagram is the same for the WE, WF & XS?

I thought the XS was supposed to have different/additional components.
I do not have the diagram for the XS yet. That diagram is the same for the WE and WF. I do have a huge list of parameters for all three and there are no differences in that. That includes the 2D Comb filter chip that we are talking about in this thread. I doubt the XS will be significantly different electronically. The XBR is the one that is different.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.