AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested hear peoples opinions of the Gateway SX2800 as a HTPC.

I'd like it to be able to play, 1080p @ 24p, DTS/FLAC/Dolby all in an mkv container, .ASS/.SSA subtitles.

Right now I currently use an Egreat 34a, but sadly it has problems with the Anime I download. IE: It doesn't support .ASS subtitles, and isn't able to playback FLAC.

Here are the specs for the Gateway SX2800-01:

# Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz Processor

# 4 MB L2 Cache, 1333 MHz Bus Speed

# 4096 MB DDR3 RAM

# 640 GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive

# Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500

# 18x DVD±R/RW Labelflash Drive with Double Layer

# 6-Channel (5.1) High Definition Audio

# 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

# Multi-in-One Card Reader

# Front ports: 5 x USB, Headphone, Microphone

# Back ports: 4 x USB, eSATA, IEEE-1394, 2 x PS2 ports (keyboard, mouse),

Center/Sub, Rear, Side, Line-in, Microphone, Optical, S/PDIF, RJ-11 (Modem), RJ-45, VGA, HDMI

# Expansion slots: PCI Express x1 (occupied), PCI Express x16 (available)

# Drive bays: 5.25" (occupied), 3.5" (occupied)

What does everyone think?

One thing I don't like is the lack of available 3.5" expansion slots, I'd like to upgrade any htpc to around 2 tb. It looks like with this I'm stuck with only one 3.5".

The price tag for this is 439$ shipped

·
Registered
110 Posts
It really depends on the deal you get on it. If you get a good deal, you can buy an ATI 4000 series card and have a fairly decent HTPC. Might be an overkill processor for what you want to do (excess heat, power usage). Personally, for storage, I'd buy a NAS and keep your HTPC storage to a minimum. This way, all your media can be manipulated from your network from any of your computers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am trying to do the same thing. I bought mine at Costco (hence the 03 model vs 01), but am trying to decide between buying a half height video card or a dual internal TV tuner for the PCIex16 slot.

If I buy the internal vid card I would be forced to buy an external USB TV tuner (or HD Homerun, etc), adding another componenent to my shelf.

If I buy the internal dual HD tuner card (like Hauppage WinTV-HVR2250 or Avermedia AVerTVHD Duet), will the integrated Intel GMA X4500 be able to handle OTA HDTV and watching hulu, etc.?

This is my dilemna...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had one of these and really liked it. I was able to output 1080p to two monitors at the same time with no problem using the IGP (Intel G43). The harddrive gets rather warm in this system, but other than that it is probably the best small form system I have used. It cost less than HP SFF intel systems with equivalent processor and is smaller. It was very quite and was not too heavy on the power. I think it idled at 47watts. You could always replace the cpu with e5200 to get lower power usage.

It should have not problem with OTA HDTV or even bluray.

Best buy had it on sell for $399 when I got mine.

I have tried the HP and acer SFF system in the past and they did not come close to this system in performance/cost.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
my two cents,

what is occupying the pc1 express x1, you need that for an internal tuner..

check out the dell studio slims. the have about the same specs for the same price with more open pci expresss and a spot for an extra hardrive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts