AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my head swims from the different choices upon choices, I found myself wishing there was some sort of list that could get me started in the right direction. Since this is the "Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays" forum, here's some examples.

Ultimate Viewing Machine ($10,000 and up)

- 63" blahbiddy blah Plasma

Current Price/Performance point ($3,000 - $5,000)

- 50" something or other

Budget (under $3,000)

- 42" something

- 30" LCD

(Obviously, I've left out some categories price-wise; the values I've chosen are arbitrary anyways.)

First off, I realize that this is an enormously personal choice. However:

As a community, we can surely come up with 2-3 choices per category. Eventually, I'd love to see a whole room's worth of equipment included in that category i.e. "I have $4,000 to spend on a new system. What should I get?" The person would go to the $3,000 - $5,000 category, pick and choose, and have some great recommendations all ready for them.

What this is for: Helping new people learn the lingo, consolidate the vast amounts of information, and help identify what kind of money it's going to take to get what they want. Most importantly, they can use this list as a starting point to ask more intelligent questions and have a few models to go to their local store to start the demo process.

What this is NOT for: Posting specific prices, finding deals, or promoting specific vendors. Nor is it a substitute for doing your homework or personal experience.

Thoughts? I know that it would help me a lot.

Mike

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I think if you would allow 4-5 choices per category, it'd be less of a religious war to make up the list.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fine by me. I would in no way want to limit to 1 or 2 after reading some people's responses in these threads! :)

I would need some help in coming up with realistic categories (price ranges), so if anybody wants to jump in here, that'd be great.

If not, I'll just let this idea die :(

Thanks in advance,

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.