AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice in connecting 3 DirecTV DVR's to 5 TV's.

All of the source equipment will be in one location in an equipment rack and all connections will be HDMI

I have HDMI over Cat 6 extender runs from the equipment rack to each TV.

What I am trying to accomplish:

Bedroom TV - The ability to watch the DirectTV DVR 3 or the DVD player.

Craft Room TV - Same

Kitchen TV - Same

Living Room TV - The ability to watch the Direct TV DVR 2 or the DVD player or the PS3.

The list of equipment that I am working with:

3 LCD TV's: One each in the bedroom, craft room & kitchen

2 Plasma's: One in the living room and one in the basement

3 DirecTV HD DVR's

1 Playstation 3

1 Sony DVP-CX995V DVD changer

1 Denon AVR-4310CI

This is the diagram of switchers & splitters that I came up with that seems like it would work, but I'm wondering if there would be a better arrangement than this.

I mapped this out with the thougt of using standard HDMI splitters and switches but I am wondering if a matrix switcher would be a better choice.

I think I know the basics concerning switchers and splitters but not much about matrix switchers.

I like the idea of having just the TV's mounted on the wall and all of the other source equipment in one place but now I am reading about HDCP handshaking issues and I am concerned that I won't be able do this as planned.

Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Assuming you use Universal Remote controls everywhere. I would use 2 4X4 Matrix switches and 5 1X2 HDMI splitters. You would split each source into 2 4X4 matrix switches and the route out from there to your TV’s and Receiver. This will allow you to play whatever you want where ever you want.

Unfortunately you will run into HDCP issues (losing audio,dolby digital etc). How often this happens will depend on your sources,receiver and tvs. Welcome to the world of HDMI switching.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have been reading up on matrix switches in the last few days and I now have a much better understanding of how they work and it is definitely something that would be more useful to me.

I tested the RF capabilities of the DVR's and the PS3 at the most extreme distances of the house and they worked fine. Right now I'm not concerned about the switches being operated by remote so that won't be an issue. The only source that is currently not RF controlled is the DVD player and I can live with that as well.

I'm wondering if the HDCP issues will be resolved as newer generations of switches & splitters come along or if we will be stuck with this problem regardless.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm curious to know which matrix switches you're looking at. There are powerful ones that I know of, but they're expensive!

Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've looked at the usual suspects @ Monoprice and some at HDTVSupply has on their website but I'm still in the looking stage and haven't made any definite decisions yet.

My original reason for doing this was so that my wife could watch one of her favorite movies in the bedroom, living room, kitchen, or craft room without having to remove the dvd from the "jukebox" each time and also eliminate

the need to have a seperate dvd player hooked up to every TV in the house. Then I thought it would be nice for my son to be able to play the PS3 in living room as well.

But if finding a reasonable priced switcher & splitter setup that will not have the HDCP issued can't be done, I will probably go back to my original plan of just splitting the component outputs from the dvd player and just sending them to each of the other TV's.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The only HDMI matrix solution I've heard of that will nearly eliminate HDCP and EDID issues is Crestron Digital Media. Unless you have at least $15k, forget about that - you can't DIY it (without a lot of headaches).

The JustAddPower "solution" I wouldn't trust, except maybe for digital signage.

As far as using component video distribution, Blu-Ray players produced after Dec 31, 2010 will no longer output HD over analog outputs, it will be limited to 480i. By the end of 2012 or 2013 I think, there will be no analog outputs on blu-ray players at all.

I'm not sure what I would advise you to do at this point, other than perhaps buying a few more DVD players.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts