AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is basically following along with the other thread about "Will a good receiver make poor speakers sound decent?".

Would a mid range receiver make GOOD speakers sound Bad?

Currently I have a Yamaha HTR-5660. It is rated at 85 Watts for the full spectrum. I would like to replace my Blose 201(Series 4) speakers with some ERA design 4s or maybe even some 5s. My question is will my HTR5660 make these GOOD speakers sound bad? I don't turn the volume up very loud. I usually leave it on about -44(It goes from -99 down to about -10). So I guess I listen to it at about half of full volume. The ERA speakers sounded awesome when they were paired to a $3000 standalone amp. Will my mid range amp make these speakers sound poor even at low volume?

I have heard that the ERA speakers are power hungry. Does this mean I will probably have to turn the amp up to spomething like -30 to get the same volume as my Blose. Is 85 watts per channel enough for the ERA Speakers?

How bad are the Bose 201 speakers? Are they decent speakers that are just over priced or are they really that bad at any price? To me they sound like crap in my setup and definitely aren't worth $300. However, I have not heard any other speakers in my setup so I don't know if it is my amp or something else?

Here are the specs on my amp and the speakers.

Yamaha HTR 5660
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=ATTRIBUTE

ERA Design 4 speakers
http://www.signalpathint.com/PDF/Hom...l06_Review.pdf

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Polks are a better match with that Yamaha avr.

The speakers you mentioned will need more juice than what that yammy offers.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0

No.

I agree - but some "midrange" receivers have high THD levels, like the OP's Yammy with 0.7% at higher power levels (many newer HT receivers are spec'ed that way). If I were going with higher end speakers, I'd at least pair them with a receiver with lower harmonic distortion.

·
Registered
967 Posts
To add to this discussion, this is another of those questions that will be argued ad nauseum and has no "right" answer. Luckily, you posted exactly what equipment you have and are looking at so people can give you real life answers.

I'm not familiar with the specific speakers you're looking at but I will say that lower powered receivers (not taking THD into consideration, just power ratings) CAN do an OK job driving SOME really good speakers, depending mainly on how efficient the speakers are (and to some degree how robust and high current the receiver's amps are). We've all read reports of audiophiles using the $30 8 watt T-amp to drive extremely efficient, crazy expensive esoteric speakers with great results. But less efficient speakers do need more power to sound really good. (E.g., you can NOT drive B&W Nautilus 802s with a T-amp or anything like it!!)

My mid-range Onkyo TX-SR702 receiver (rated 100 watts/chan.) made my Ascend CBM-170SEs sound outstanding (and my B&W DM602 s2s sounded very good on them too), but it made my Swan Classics 5.2 sound a bit dull and flat. When I upgraded to the Emotiva UL combo (rated 125 watts/chan. but with a HUGE power supply), the Swans came to life and sounded like new speakers, HUGE improvement -- but the Ascends merely sounded equally outstanding! Clearly they didn't need nearly as robust an amp as the Swans to sound right.

I guess the bottom line is if your speakers of choice are considered "power hungry" it's safe to try them with your current receiver, just listen for distortion so you don't damage them, but you'll probably want to upgrade the receiver soon too.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks for your responses. I really need to hear the speakers with my receiver or something close to it. The problem is that the store that has the speakers doesn't sell low end amps. I guess I could go buy my receiver and a higher end yamaha at best buy and take them over to test them with the speakers. Then I could just return the receivers. I guess I will just wait till I can afford to upgrade everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went through a similar discussion earlier. I score a good deal on the Athena Point 5 system (4x S.5, 1x C.5 with a ASP-6000 sub). Now I know these are probably no where close to the speakers you are talking about (i'm pretty new to the audio scene). I paired the speakers with a Pioneer VSX-516. I was worried if the receiver would be doing the speakers justice. As in if I stepped up to the VSX-1016 would I be seeing a really high increase in SQ. A couple of gents helped in the other thread (in the amps section) to conclude that I should stick with the VSX-516.

Your idea of buying the two receivers then testing them one at a time with the speakers is a good idea! I probably should've done that (if for nothing more than just personal satisfaction) just so I would be emotionally comfortable!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm confused, didn't you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/0

Currently I have a Yamaha HTR-5660.

If so, take it to the store and listen to your potential speakers on it.

I suspect you'll like the ERA speakers better than the Bose on it. But I could be wrong since we are different people and have different ears and possibly different tastes.

You will not likely get the best possible perfomance out of those speakers with your curent amp, but it will still likely be better than what you have now IMO.

The intersting thing about those speakers (which I have not actually heard, or even seriously researched, so take this with a big grain of salt) is that they don't seem to be a particularly hard load on an amp - minimum impedance is given as 6.something ohms which should be fine for your Yamaha. The only hint that they might require a high power amp is their sensitivity which is lower than average. But if you listen at low to moderate volumes this may not be a problem for you.

You really just have to go out and listen, and decide for your self.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltv /forum/post/0

I agree - but some "midrange" receivers have high THD levels, like the OP's Yammy with 0.7% at higher power levels (many newer HT receivers are spec'ed that way). If I were going with higher end speakers, I'd at least pair them with a receiver with lower harmonic distortion.

Or you could just turn the volume down to a reasonable level. Any midrange receiver should be capable of powering just about any speaker (just about) to plenty sufficient listening levels and do that just fine.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I would take my receiver in and try it but it is kind of locked into my cabinet because of all the components I have hooked to it. It would be easier to just buy a different one and then return it. I will do some more testing first. I currently have an athena ws-60 center channel. I actually kind of like that speaker considering it was about $140. The ERA speakers are a whole different league though. I think that they require a lot of power to hit the same decibel level as other speakers. That might be a problem with my little amp.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Mid-grade receivers are only a problem for speakers with low dips in impedence. These are rated at 8 ohms nominal, with the lowest dip at 6.7 or so. I'd say no problem!

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brennan /forum/post/0

A bad sounding receiver will make your system sound bad.

But price has little or nothing to do with it as there is good sounding cheap stuff and bad sounding expensive stuff.

So is my 85 Watt Yamaha HTR 5660 considered a bad receiver in terms of amplification? If I stepped up to the new HTR 6090 would that be considered a good receiver? How much better would a standalone amp over the HTR 6090? Here are the specs for the HTR 6090.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=ATTRIBUTE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.