AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just won an ebay auction on a brand new, unopened 1080ST projector. The person bought it from Amazon and has the original invoice (it was bought last month for a gift for someone, but they no longer could it). Anyhow, unless you select "This item is a gift" when you purchase something from Amazon, they won't give you a gift receipt. And, the person who bought it forgot to do this. So, all I have is the original purchase receipt, but I'm not sure if that's good enough for me to have the warranty.

I thought I could tell Benq that it was "bought" for me, but the purchaser forgot to select "This item is a gift." if I happen to need to use the warranty. On their website they state the "Original purchaser (customer) for the warranty, but again, I'm wondering what happens in the other cases where people buy it for someone, but have no gift receipt and only the original. The seller is a great communicator and I haven't paid for it yet. I'm worried that the receipt is not in my name and not my address. Anyone know how this works? I can't contact Benq until Monday so I'm trying to figure out what might happen. Experience or thoughts please? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any experience or thoughts on this issue?

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1523825/would-a-new-benq-1080st-...eone-else-just-won-item-on-ebay#post_24518036

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any experience or thoughts on this issue?

You can call BenQ but most if not all Benq projector warranties read thusly:
Quote:
Your sales receipt is your proof of purchase of the Product and the warranty period commences as of the date on the receipt. This warranty extends only to the original purchaser and is non-transferable except with the express prior consent of BenQ given in writing.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Your sales receipt is your proof of purchase of the Product and the warranty period commences as of the date on the receipt. This warranty extends only to the original purchaser and is non-transferable except with the express prior consent of BenQ given in writing.
doubt such a statement would be legal in germany:

we have a mandatory 2 year warranty on all new commercially sold electronic items. if you give the purchased device to someone else and include the receipt, the warranty will remain valid and the new owner may rely on it, if the device fails.

Double check your local laws about that matter!

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony  /t/1523825/would-a-new-benq-1080st-...eone-else-just-won-item-on-ebay#post_24518567

Quote:

doubt such a statement would be legal in germany:

we have a mandatory 2 year warranty on all new commercially sold electronic items. if you give the purchased device to someone else and include the receipt, the warranty will remain valid and the new owner may rely on it, if the device fails.

Double check your local laws about that matter!

As I commented in my post a call to BenQ will answer the OP's question.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went with my gut and declined to pay even after winning the auction. I just could not risk the no warranty and she wanted to drop off the items today and since benq is not open on Sunday I could not verify. I instead went with a refurb from an authorized seller for $799 with the same warranty as new.

This brings me to my next question: Is getting a refurb safe in regards to a projector? Could I be getting a lemon device with much used bulb life, scratches or dents, etc? The price is sure right but not sure what im getting myself into. Anyone else buy a refurb projector with fine results?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC  /t/1523825/would-a-new-benq-1080st-...eone-else-just-won-item-on-ebay#post_24520092

If the seller is an "authorized Benq dealer" there should be no problem. Does Benq list their authorized dealers on their website?

Yup! Just looked on their website. They are listed under "Authorized Refurb Reseller". And I'm saving $170

1 - 9 of 9 Posts