AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find any information on this. I bought a $20 Amazon basics surge protector to plug my receiver/electronics into. Is this going to have any effect on sound quality?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I couldn't find any information on this. I bought a $20 Amazon basics surge protector to plug my receiver/electronics into. Is this going to have any effect on sound quality?
Shouldn’t. If your hardware is drawing the power it needs to operate, it should be fine. What are you trying to power?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I have a really nice Amazon basics surge protector for my home theater and it's great. No issues at all. Much cheaper than most of the other options that's for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,258 Posts
Some surge protectors may limit the current to amps and adversely affect AQ. Many here recommend plugging amps directly into the wall outlet for that reason.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Some surge protectors may limit the current to amps and adversely affect AQ. Many here recommend plugging amps directly into the wall outlet for that reason.
I know a surge protector created noise in my Lexicon/Bryston amp. In fact, the manual says not to plug into one.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

I have read this also. I have a Panamax unit with four inductorless high-current plugs that are not supposed to be current limitng.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
My Parasound 5 channel amp is plugged into my Amazon basics surge protector and everything is just fine. I want that amp protected that's for sure.

·
Registered
15,258 Posts
My Parasound 5 channel amp is plugged into my Amazon basics surge protector and everything is just fine. I want that amp protected that's for sure.

Against a lightning strike or a large surge, the best protection is whole-house surge protection at the electrical panel. I learned that the hard way several years ago.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

Against a lightning strike or a large surge, the best protection is whole-house surge protection at the electrical panel. I learned that the hard way several years ago.
Bingo. This is the best solution, plus it protects every appliance in the house.

Nothing works against a direct lightning strike, but anything close that causes a big surge, and it works very well.

That's what I did. Costs a bit of money, but allows you to plug straight into the wall everywhere in the house.

·
Registered
15,258 Posts
Bingo. This is the best solution, plus it protects every appliance in the house.

Nothing works against a direct lightning strike, but anything close that causes a big surge, and it works very well.

That's what I did. Costs a bit of money, but allows you to plug straight into the wall everywhere in the house.
My lightning strike was not direct. It hit the ground outside my house, and then traveled into the house and to several (not all) outlets throughout the house. It fried two computers, my electric garage door openers, my Jacuzzi, and several outlets (amazingly it spared my AV system). The first thing I did afterwards was have an electrician install whole-house surge protection at the panel.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have been fortunate with plug-in the wall surge protectors at 4 locations in our house, for computers, Tv's, satellite boxes, and AV equipment. We have had several power failures and surges. Nothing has been damaged. Thunderstorms and lightening are common in our area. I have APC surge protectors that shut down/off. No adverse effect on daily performance of my Denon AVR, Subwoofer, TV, speakers...etc. Good luck

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
I recommend the Belkin BE 112230-08 for $24.99 from Amazon. It is rated at 3940 Joules. I use that Belkin with no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts