AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking because the theater I like to go to with the nice new upgraded DLP's has shown 2.35 movies this way on their "smaller" screens the last two times I went. Calls to the theater go unanswered and I didn't feel like waiting for the manager last night.

God I hope this was just laziness or lack of knowledge and not some new fad to make it easier for the projectionist. I do not feel like paying $10 to see a letterboxed movie.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
They don't know how to adjust the projector. Simple as that.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
You mean the presentation was cropped? Or that the screen didn't bring up some masking or 2:35:1? I've seen the latter and never the former in a theater. Most of the screens at my local digital theater are 16:9 but 2:35:1 is shown letterboxed and no adjustment needed just as it isn't on a DVD or BD. Trailers and intermission stuff may switch between 16:9 and 22:9 so the masked screens are often used anymore. And most screen "masking" was bringing in curtains to cover the 2:35:1 screen sides for a 1:85:1 presentation so you didn't have blank screen on the sides.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I went to a theater once where the screen -and the movie I came to see - were both 2.35:1. But somebody had neglected to open the curtains between the 16:9 previews and the main feature. I first asked that the curtains get opened, and then when this could not be done, for a refund. I then drove 3.5 additional miles and saw the film displayed properly.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad /forum/post/20963192

You mean the presentation was cropped? Or that the screen didn't bring up some masking or 2:35:1?

No, sorry I worded that wrong.

The screen was 16:9 and the whole 2.35 image was projected onto it with I'm guessing "blank area" at the top and bottom. The area at the top and bottom was dark gray at best and distracting.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack /forum/post/20964026

No, sorry I worded that wrong.

The screen was 16:9 and the whole 2.35 image was projected onto it with I'm guessing "blank area" at the top and bottom. The area at the top and bottom was dark gray at best and distracting.

It may have been a case where the theater just didn't have a 2.40 AR digital screen available to show the movie on. I have never experienced that other then at a 15/70 "The IMAX Experience" presentation.

AFAIK, the only theaters that only have a 16:9 screen are IMAX Digital Theaters.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/20964195

It may have been a case where the theater just didn't have a 2.40 AR digital screen available to show the movie on. I have never experienced that other then at a 15/70 "The IMAX Experience" presentation.

AFAIK, the only theaters that only have a 16:9 screen are IMAX Digital Theaters.

I have been in plenty of theaters that are 16:9 screens. The biggest screen in the complex is usually 2.35:1 in my experience, but the smaller ones are often less wide.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts /forum/post/20964294

I have been in plenty of theaters that are 16:9 screens. The biggest screen in the complex is usually 2.35:1 in my experience, but the smaller ones are often less wide.

ALL theaters (except IMAX Digital and IMAX 15/70) have a combination of 1.85 and 2.35 screens because Hollywood produces movies in both ARs.

What happened to the OP is that the theater showed a 2.40 AR movie on a 1.85 AR screen with the image centered on the screen leaving unused screen above and below the image - like a letterbox movie in your home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts