AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lack of analog out for uncompressed PCM is a big shortcoming of current PS3 as a BD player. I see USB based soundcard for PC all the time. Would a USB dongle containing analog output be something that might work with PS3 to enable this functionality? It seems that hardware and driver for such a functionality would be pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman /forum/post/0

The lack of analog out for uncompressed PCM is a big shortcoming of current PS3 as a BD player. I see USB based soundcard for PC all the time. Would a USB dongle containing analog output be something that might work with PS3 to enable this functionality? It seems that hardware and driver for such a functionality would be pretty straight forward.

I don't think this will ever happen for a number of reasons, some mundane and some pretty definitive.

Among the mundane reasons? There's no guarantee that the PS3 operating system has anything like a conventional concept of a "driver." The reason device drivers exist in modern operating systems is to abstract away differences in hardware in open system. The PS3 is a closed system with a known set of hardware, so while it may use some internal absractions there's no guarantee they have a generic system for writing drivers. If they do, it's likely undocumented and almost certainly backed by a security scheme because ...

... the definitive reason for not ever seeing this happen is that sending an unencrypted audio stream out to a USB device would allow a perfect copy to be captured digitally. The copyright holders (whether for Blu-ray content or SACD) are extremely paraniod and aren't about to let this happen - which is why the HDCP encrypted HDMI connection is the ONLY digital output supported for uncompressed digital audio.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAdept /forum/post/0

I don't think this will ever happen for a number of reasons, some mundane and some pretty definitive.

Among the mundane reasons? There's no guarantee that the PS3 operating system has anything like a conventional concept of a "driver." The reason device drivers exist in modern operating systems is to abstract away differences in hardware in open system. The PS3 is a closed system with a known set of hardware, so while it may use some internal absractions there's no guarantee they have a generic system for writing drivers. If they do, it's likely undocumented and almost certainly backed by a security scheme because ...

... the definitive reason for not ever seeing this happen is that sending an unencrypted audio stream out to a USB device would allow a perfect copy to be captured digitally. The copyright holders (whether for Blu-ray content or SACD) are extremely paraniod and aren't about to let this happen - which is why the HDCP encrypted HDMI connection is the ONLY digital output supported for uncompressed digital audio.

Who's talking about uncompressed digital output? I am asking for simple 5.1 or 7.1 analog out via USB dongle. Analog audio outs are on all standalone players, and PS3 is perfectly capable of decrypting uncompressed PCM and converting it to analog signal.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman /forum/post/0

Who's talking about uncompressed digital output? I am asking for simple 5.1 or 7.1 analog out via USB dongle. Analog audio outs are on all standalone players, and PS3 is perfectly capable of decrypting uncompressed PCM and converting it to analog signal.

In order for that to work, the player would have to give access to uncompressed PCM via the USB connector. So, as DarkAdept already mentioned, that will probably never happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.