AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dish network is rumored to have something like that on the market within two years...

·
Registered
996 Posts
It would seem that an integrated Dish PVR like the DirecTV would be OK for HDTV. I know a very large hard disk would be necessary. This would atleast be a closed system and it would seem that this might get around copyright issues somewhat

It is not that different then DirecTIVO which stores original mpeg2.

What does everyone think?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
At the last Charlie Chat, Charlie Ergen, (The CEO for those who don't know E*) said they were working on something for next year. It will be interesting to see how the MPAA reacts to this, but since it is almost certaily going to be a closed system with a proprietary disk operating system and encryption that is already present in the sat bitstream it should be less onerous to them than a HD VCR I would think. Whot wquld be really cool is if they could set it up to record the OTA stuff as well.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't remember if I saw it on the Charlie Chat or Tech Chat, but they mentioned this would do HD OTA as well. 'wish I could buy it now.

Being a closed system, I don't think PVR's concern the content providers too much. What really has them scared is a Napster-type scenario. PVR's don't particularly enable that type of thing.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.