AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have Infinity SM 185's that I bought in 2000. http://content.abt.com/get_documen...th=/images/products/INF1246 SM InfoSheet.pdf

I also have a pair of Onkyo SKM 520S that I was considering using for surrounds.

They sound pretty good but I work at Best Buy and get a great discount on home theater and I'm wondering if there are any speakers there that would be a noticeable improvement over them?

I'm not an audiophile by any means but I just bought a BenQ 1070 and am about to get a big screen and I'm considering the idea of getting some Klipsch towers and surrounds or maybe Polk, Energy or Yamaha. Would I notice a significant difference? Are the towers better suited for home theater than bookshelf studio monitors or are the Infinitys perfectly adequate for a beginner? Thanks!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what Best Buy sells but you are in a perfect position to answer your own question by listening to what they do sell. "Better" is a matter of preference. It is your preference that matters, not ours.
There's no objective difference in quality or suitability for home theater?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
There's no objective difference in quality or suitability for home theater?

No. Nothing objective about speaker sound quality. The speaker manufacturers don't provide a full suite of measurements so choosing from that perspective is dicey unless you can find third party measurements.

But what matters is your satisfaction. Only you can determine that. I've heard speakers that sell for $100,000 that sounded pretty poor to me. I've heard cheap speakers that were perfectly satisfactory. Your mileage will vary, as they say.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. Nothing objective about speaker sound quality. The speaker manufacturers don't provide a full suite of measurements so choosing from that perspective is dicey unless you can find third party measurements.

But what matters is your satisfaction. Only you can determine that. I've heard speakers that sell for $100,000 that sounded pretty poor to me. I've heard cheap speakers that were perfectly satisfactory. Your mileage will vary, as they say.
In that case I may as well save my money and roll w the Infinitys no?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I think you need to determine what aspect of your system you're trying to improve. You only mention four speakers in your original post. Do you have a center channel? How about a subwoofer? If you don't have a sub, adding one would yield the biggest improvement to your current setup.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you need to determine what aspect of your system you're trying to improve. You only mention four speakers in your original post. Do you have a center channel? How about a subwoofer? If you don't have a sub, adding one would yield the biggest improvement to your current setup.
I don't have a center. I would like to get a sub, of the brands I mentioned what would the best be for a sub?

I've heard that mismatched front and rears can be distracting, especially if the rears are underpowered. Based on the specs of the speakers I have, should this he a concern or should I just save my money and get a sub?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Assuming you have been listening to the Infinity speakers for the last 15 years, it might be wise to purchase a new line from Infinity, I think they were released recently actually: http://www.infinityspeakers.com/est...earchMode=regularProductOnly&sCatId=cat740049 - this is the bookshelf link. They can also be found on Amazon. Also the infinity Primus isn't a bad sounding speaker either.

However, I do encourage you to research similar priced speakers and listen to as many speakers as you can. If you ask for recommendations, it does not matter your budget, there are dozens of potentials in any price category. But we can always give our personal preferences.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Assuming you have been listening to the Infinity speakers for the last 15 years, it might be wise to purchase a new line from Infinity, I think they were released recently actually: http://www.infinityspeakers.com/est...earchMode=regularProductOnly&sCatId=cat740049 - this is the bookshelf link. They can also be found on Amazon. Also the infinity Primus isn't a bad sounding speaker either.

However, I do encourage you to research similar priced speakers and listen to as many speakers as you can. If you ask for recommendations, it does not matter your budget, there are dozens of potentials in any price category.
Will it be distracting if I have mismatched rears and fronts if the rears are underpowered compared to the fronts?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I don't have a center. I would like to get a sub, of the brands I mentioned what would the best be for a sub?

I've heard that mismatched front and rears can be distracting, especially if the rears are underpowered. Based on the specs of the speakers I have, should this he a concern or should I just save my money and get a sub?
I wouldn't worry about mismatched front/rears at this point. It's important for the front three speakers to match, but less so for the surrounds. I would definitely start with a subwoofer, and then replace your front speakers (and add a center) at some point. If you are set on purchasing from Best Buy, I would probably consider the following sub given your budget:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...lack/6228076.p?id=1219198828934&skuId=6228076

If you are willing to branch out from Best Buy, there are far better alternatives from ID companies such as HSU, SVS, etc.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I wouldn't worry about mismatched front/rears at this point. It's important for the front three speakers to match, but less so for the surrounds. I would definitely start with a subwoofer, and then replace your front speakers (and add a center) at some point. If you are set on purchasing from Best Buy, I would probably consider the following sub given your budget:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...lack/6228076.p?id=1219198828934&skuId=6228076

If you are willing to branch out from Best Buy, there are far better alternatives from ID companies such as HSU, SVS, etc.
I can get that sub for $179. Pretty damn good discount. Can I get a better sub for that price? Also, what about the 10" model? I get that for $140. I live in an apartment so I'm not trying to rock the house.

Also, what about the rears being underpowered? I can get some surrounds for pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'll spend up to $3-400 if they're really gonna sound that good. Are these Electrostats significantly better than anything else Best Buy offers, even Klipsch?
ELs "blow away" anything I have heard from Klipsch (Have not heard their Palladium). And they are significantly more than $400. I would listen to what you do have at your store and make the decision based on what YOU think sounds best. You get the discount so, why not?

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
As you can see I own a pair of Esls. That is a very nice budge but you really need to let us know what you are using them for how lound you will be playing them as well as placement.

I'm far from rich. It took me
So long to acquire my system. I scraped away 20-30 dollars a week until I could afford.

So Unless you just have money to blow Take your time.

I have heard and tested a lot of equipment and also changed so much and I am sure many others here have done the same.

What I can tell you though if it is for movies your front 3 speakers keep all the same brand family. And don't short yourself on a sub because in my opinion sibwoofers are just as important as center channels when it comes to movies

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts