Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am tempted to buy an Infocus 5700 – this would be my first PJ. I am pleased with all its technical characteristics, have seen it and looked great to me plus the throwing ratio it has would work perfectly in my space. My only small caveat is that I see a bit of rainbow, especially when you think that very often I watch films with the subtitles ON. Would this rainbow go away after a few hours of getting used to it? Or would it eventually cause eye-fatigue?

In general, is there anyone who had bad experience with the 5700 and would discourage me from moving ahead???

Thanks for your comments in advance!

Nicholas

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
re rainbows, I see them on the 5700 but not on the BenQ 7800.

But anyway I'd wait for Mitsubishi HC900. More contrast, less money. :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
are you watching it in ambient light , if so then its a good choice if not , there are a couple far higher contrast dlps around which best the 5700 for the same price

·
Registered
531 Posts
there are virtually no projectors on the market that have the same high brightness and long throw ratio that the Infocus has... the choices that do exist are far more expensive as well.

If you need something that is a very long throw, it might be the only choice for you. Tell us a bit more about the specific mounting situation, ambient light level, and maybe we can point out a couple more choices.

As has been pointed out, there are a couple other matterhorn choices that offer higher contrast (but lower brightness) than the Infocus, but will require you to change you mounting position....

·
Registered
351 Posts
I own the sp5700 for over a year now and am very pleased with it,

the price is right for what you get.

The benq might be cheaper,

but so are its internals.

Infocus uses optics by Zeiss

and faroudja processing.

Since I live in a PAL-country,

with no HDTV availability,

I am in the comfortable position to be able to wait for affordable 1080p-PJs to appear,

without having the feeling I cannot take advantage of what is available now.

(On the other hand: not having HDTV is even more frustrating :) )

I don't think Germany will introduce HDTV in the very near future either,

but you will be better informed about that.

All I can say is that it's a dream come true for PAL-tv and -dvd.

Sure there's better equipment available,

but the SP5700 is still a solid contender, which is competitively priced.

BTW:

I don't see rainbows unless I move my head suddenly from one side of the screen to another. Most of the time in dark scenes where a candle is burning or something like that. The light of the candle becomes a rainbow for a fraction of a second. I can imagine subtitles do the same.

For me this is a non-issue,

during most films I don't see rainbows, unless I try causing one.

And when I do see one it's only very briefly.

The LCD-issues bother me far more.

But it might be a good idea to check out some new lcd's,

they have a higher resolution, which makes them more HDTV-proof

and their contrast is said to be quite good, one paper they beat the sp5700 hands down.

Panasonic, sony, sanyo and epson are the big names I believe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thxs for the feedback so far. The 7800 was an option indeed but it's quite short throw for me plus doesn't have Faroudja. I forgot to mention that I plan to use 5700 for watching 80% satellite TV (not HDTV though, still rare in Europe) and the Faroudja seems very appealing to me.

The 5700 is supposed to be placed on a projection table with adjustable height approx. 15ft from screen with viewing position at 10-11 ft. The screen I plan to get is a 4:3 67x47 inch (diagonal of 81") which will be unfolded only to the 67x38 inch (diag. 77") dimensions when watching 16:9 program. I have done the maths in such a way so as to use the 1.6 zoom ratio (also rare in the PJ market from what I have seen) and by unfolding fully the screen and enlarging the image to be able to watch 4:3 program on the screen without the black bars on the sides - of course with some height adjustment of the PJ with the help of the table. It may sound weird but I think it works - in the maths at least.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you like the "blacks being black" you will not be happy with a 5700.

If brightness and long throw is to your liking, you will be happy.

A brilliant sharp picture, but not really film-like, if your preference is to viewing mainly DVD's.

TV sport, fine.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If this is your first projector, your probably like me, reading these forums and hearing people talk about the blacks not being that black. But in all reality, the blacks are way more than ok. I was expecting some terrible picture, blah blah, but the blacks are fine. Just what you would find with most RPTV's. Its golng to look like you have a 100" RPTV hanging on your wall, which is way cool. I wouldnt let the contrast ratio influence you like it does some of these people unless the contrast ratio is exceptionally low.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
That is what ND2 filters are for. Without one you have a bright TV, with one you have a film like image.

For those that see a ND2 filter is a crutch for an overly bright picture - you are wrong. All a ND2 filter does is simulate the actual brightness you will have when your lamp dims. Match that brightness up with the proper gain screen to achieive film reference.

If the picture is dim and washed out with an ND2 filter - then do not buy the projector as it will become dim and washed out without the ND2 filter.

You can buy very cheap ones at your local camera store - but I like the Hoya HMC ND2's - you can get them at B&H Photo online.

Unlike most manufacturers - Infocus optimizes their projectors for 24ftL with a new lamp on their target screen size. This allows one to use a smaller screen or a gain screen to achieve a big TV, and it also allows the use of ND2 filter until lamp dims to achieve film reference of 12ftL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.