AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided on a Fujitsu 6101. A local dealer has a demo unit they will sell for $18,000. I believe it's been on display for about 5 months (not certain, but can confirm) They will provide full Fujitsu warranty. Obviously I will look at the set, and check its performance with various inputs, check for pixel issues etc. Assuuming it all checks out, any pitfalls?

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
That price for a demo unit seems very high to me.

On a more theoretical note (i.e., forget pricing for a minute): I'd buy a demo unit if:

1. I know what content it's been playing

2. Was it well taken care of?

3. Did the guy play it at 100% contrast, 100% brightness?

4. Does it have burn-in from mis-use?

5. How long was it in actual use?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I concur on the price being high. They ran it for 5 months as a demo and they are still selling it above cost? Ofer and I might call that chutzpah.

You really need to check for any signs of burn in against a white background and perhaps against other colors as well just to be sure. Also check the total number of hours.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Actualy, $18,000.00 is not above cost. Fujitsu does not have the same markup as some other plasmas.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think I remember Peter saying a while ago that the dealer cost for the 6101 in lots of one is around $17K.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg C
Actualy, $18,000.00 is not above cost. Fujitsu does not have the same markup as some other plasmas.
you are correct. They have much higher mark up (which they protect) hence their consistently higher prices.

Quote:
Originally posted by barbja
I think I remember Peter saying a while ago that the dealer cost for the 6101 in lots of one is around $17K.
I seem to recall a similar figure. Hmmm, who is correct?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Doesn't cineramax sell the 6101 new for $18-$18.5k? bm

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I knew what I was talking about. That's all I'll say.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thats way to much for something thats been on for hundreds of hours. Places never show plasmas correctly. Ive been in my local dealers and always see paused images, 4:3 bars, network logos etc etc. These things take a beating.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I just bought a low mileage beauty that was shown at CEDIA for 15% below cost. Happy camper.

I will sell the unit locally at 20% off not 25. And that is if you buy a surround package etc.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sydney
Thats way to much for something thats been on for hundreds of hours. Places never show plasmas correctly. Ive been in my local dealers and always see paused images, 4:3 bars, network logos etc etc. These things take a beating.
Waaait just a minute Sydney. All this time you have been starting new threads each time you want some info on 60 inchers (and we have dutifully searched for you) and you've had one since September? C'mon man, share the wealth! What about some impressions instead of the same old questions about when 60 inchers are going to get better?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I actually like my PRO1000 better than the Fujitsu. I have a very small viewing area which puts me 9-10 feet from the display. At times I feel I'm to close to the Fujitsu but cant move any future back. I'm not very technical and don't have the best audio/video ear/eye as allot of people here. So it's hard for me to describe the differences if I even can. I have both sets professionally calibrated which has thought me a lot about the displays. My constant 60" question are because I feel I may had purchased the Fujitsu to soon it being a 1st Gen 60". I always read of improvements on this type of technology from Gen to Gen. If something new is coming out soon I don't mind selling my current model at a few dollars loss to have the current technology.

Sydney

·
Registered
732 Posts
Dealer cost for the consumer class B is not where you think it is Rogo. And Peter confirmed that he does not sell them at $17,000. since a 20 % discount would be at $20,000. That is for a demo unit that he got a 15% discount on. If you look at the link, it is for a class A plasma with only a 1 year guarantee. Plus Fujitsu will not warantee it if it is used as a consumer unit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe the price is negotiable. What appeals to me is the full 3-year Fujitsu warranty, and the ability to inspect the set before purchase. No dead pixels, no burn-in, run at 50% contrast and 50% brightness (I don't think this was a "set-up", since all the other plasma sets in the store were set at this general level, and these guys are big on ISF calibration and meticulous set-up). I would not order this unit on-line. Period. I can get it new for $21,500 locally, from another dealer, full warranty. I guess my dilemma is whether the ~ $4000 savings is worth the risk and anxiety.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg C
Dealer cost for the consumer class B is not where you think it is Rogo. And Peter confirmed that he does not sell them at $17,000. since a 20 % discount would be at $20,000. That is for a demo unit that he got a 15% discount on. If you look at the link, it is for a class A plasma with only a 1 year guarantee. Plus Fujitsu will not warantee it if it is used as a consumer unit.
Greg, can you point me to where I can find info on a class B Fujitsu 61" please? According to this product list no such thing exists:
http://www.plasmavision.com/prodcomp.html

This may help as you are obviously talking about something that none of the posters here are talking about.

BTW, still don't understand you comment that Fujitsu don't have the same mark up as some other plasmas. Did you agree with me or not?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I stand by my comments. They are in essence correct.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.