AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a Parkland Plastics DIY I built about a year and a half ago. My projector is a Sony VPLW400Q with a brand new bulb that is shelf/ceiling mounted approximately 17 feet away from my 47" x 84" screen in a completely light controled room. I have two rows of seating at 11' and 16', with the back row is on a 12" riser. Due to a ceiling height of only 7.5', the bottom of the screen is approximately 2' off the floor with the top at about 6' and the projector mounted at a height of about 6.5' off the floor. My room is only about 10 feet wide, so all seating is "within the screen width", so to speak, so I have no drastic viewing angles from the sides.

I like everything I have read about the Hi Power fabric and with the relatively low lumens of the 400Q (400 lumens), it seems like this would be a good match. However, almost everything I have read says that the downside to this fabric is for ceiling mounted projectors, as outside a 25 degree viewing cone the gain drops off dramatically. I am not clear on how to calculate my viewing cone to know how big a drop off I will get. Also, since the projector is so far back in the room, does that help? I am pretty happy with my DIY screen, but I am always looking for an upgrade or a tweak, and this seems like it might be a good one. Given my set-up, would a High Power screen be a significant improvement over my current screen?

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
454 Posts
Call dalite and ask for screen samples. Stick the highpower one to your parkland screen and see for yourself.

My projector is ceiling mounted, 13' or so from the screen. I sit directly beneath it. I am definately outside the cone. I can tell when I stand up. The image gets much brighter. Even if I move really badly outiside the cone, the image only gets slightly darker then the parkland. However, it's best if you see it for yourself.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have a PLV-60 and was using the Parkland plastic. Because I wanted to stop having to move my screen from one room to another when not in use, I opted for a pull down.

Jason here at AVS recommended the HiPower Model C 104X56 ( I think). When I received the screen and hung it in my family room, I was impressed with the quality of construction for the price.

The difference between the Parkland and HiPower in my case was like night and day. For $13.00 plus what ever mounting application you use, the Parkland is a great inexpensive screen solution.

But I felt like I wanted more. And boy did the HiPower deliver. Great color punch and I don't have to worry much about ambient light control.

I am a big fan of the HiPower and I think the $400-475 price can't be beat.

Just my 2 cents...

P.s. My projector is table mounted....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I did get my hands on some Da-Lite screen samples and taped them to my screen last night. They were High Power, Video Spectra and Matte White. From any one of my second row of seats, the high power really blew the other two away with a much brighter picture and intense colors. The video spectra was slightly brighter than the Parkland screen it was taped to and the matte white looked just like the Parkland.

The problems came from my front row seats which are about 5 feet closer and 12" lower. From the center seat the high power was much less bright than from the back row and looked about the same as the video spectra. Again, the matte white looked like the Parkland. However, if I moved to either side seat in the front row, the high power dropped off to look like the Matte White and Parkland (actually maybe even a little darker), with no apparent change in the video spectra.

So it appears that with the High Power, I would have three very different images depending if you are sitting in 1. the back row, 2. front and center, 3. front and side. Given this situation, and the fact that my favorite seat is front and center, how do you set up the projector? It seems if you adjust the brightness and contrast for the front and center seat, it will be too bright for the back row and too dim for the front side seats and vice versa if you set it up for the other seats. If it was just a minor difference it would not be that bad, but we are talking about major differences in brightness here.

If I just had the one row of seats in the back I think it would be a no-brainer and I would get the High-Power. However, with my current set up, I think it would make me crazy for everyone in the theater to be seeing different images. The Video Spectra was pretty consistent from all seating locations, however, there was a "sparkliness" to the material that I am not sure I liked, and I have heard some bad stories about waves in the fabric on a pull down. The matte white was very consistent, however, it looked just like my Parkland and I would not consider it an upgrade.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I ended up ordering a matte white. The only upgrade I'm looking for from the parkland is the ability to roll up.

In the end, I weighed the possibility of wrinkles for the matte white vs. the brightness variance in the high power. Although I have said previously that I'd prefer funky brightness over wrinkles, I ended up going the other way when it came time to order.

My medium term plan is to get a tensioned-electric screen with whatever material is truly best for my needs at that time. The matte white is a temporary solution. I only have about 30 hours or so on my projector. I need some more time to figure out what I really want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.