AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current setup is this:

Yamaha rx-v661 with a Emotiva LPA-1

Would I gain anything if I sold those and bought a Onkyo 805? I am looking for the most "surround sound experince possible, without breaking the bank...

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AV123 RS850's, RS200 center, Mirage Omnisat V2's for surrounds, RS250's for rear surrounds; 2 subs-Velo DLS-4000R, and an Epik Knight. I was considering selling the 250's but not sure yet.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The LPA-1 is an amazing amp, I would hold on to it, it can't be touched anywhere near the price. If you're not happy with the system I'd go audition speakers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitly gained by getting my wife!!!
She puts up with stuff most women would skin me alive for. I am a little confused though, the LPA is 125 watts per channel while the 805 is 130 (I know wattage can be misleading from company to company) but how does the Yamaha compare sound wise to the Onkyo (putting wattage aside). Also, I have a 5 in one out HDMI switch so the number of HDMI outouts I would gain is not an issue. As well, I know even though the Onkyo can decode the newer codecs such as Dolby true HD and the others, the Yamaha can output them in LPCM. So, why the difference in price between the Yamaha and Onkyo? Are you purely paying for more wattage with the Onkyo? If that is the case I have almost matched the wattage by adding the LPA-1. Does this sound like a fair assesment, or am I missing something else. Thanks every one.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Auto setup may make a bigger difference than general amp design in these receivers.

When I set up my Yamaha RX-V2700 using YPAO it didn't sound as good as my RX-V657 when using 7-channel stereo. The difference was most likely due to a different result from YPAO. Andecdotal evidence to be sure.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I set my system up manually using an SPL meter. I set everything to 75db. It is not hat it sounds bad, I just want to make sure I am getting the best bang for the buck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts