AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 12 year old Sony ss-mf315 floor standing speakers

they have some newer speakers that look identical, I'm wondering if I'd see a huge difference between the ones I have and the 4-way version of their new ones, the ss-f6000

·
Registered
80 Posts
Maybe not a huge difference, but a noticable difference. You would definitely get improved bass due to the second woofer and an unknown amount of other improvements due to the new cone materials, drivers, and cabinet construction.

I own a pair of the SS-F6000's and they are well worth their $150-$200 price tag. They did require a fairly large amount of EQ adjustments (done with a mic and auto-calibration software for me, MCACC) but I don't know how much is due to the speaker and how much is due to the wood paneled room they are in; either way they sound amazing properly set up.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The difference in performance is not going to be very significant.

If you want to get a significant improvement, I suggest that you consider purchasing a pair of Boston Acoustics CS226B speakers, which Amazon currently sells for $230 each.

That will give you a major improvement in sound quality compared to the Sony speakers.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1418393/would-i-notice-a-difference-between-these-two-speakers-3-way-vs-4-way#post_22187359

The difference in performance is not going to be very significant.

If you want to get a significant improvement, I suggest that you consider purchasing a pair of Boston Acoustics CS226B speakers, which Amazon currently sells for $230 each.

That will give you a major improvement in sound quality compared to the Sony speakers.

How do you come to that conclusion? After properly setting up all three sets of the speakers in question, the difference between the BA CS226B and the SS-F6000 would be the smallest. The SS-F6000's are likely a better speaker than the CS226B, they have an extra driver, same size woofers, same sensitivity, greater frequency range, and are 4-way vs 2-way. The only things the Sony's don't do is cost more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts