AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening to everybody.

After a few years thinking, Ive decided to get a small and simple 5.1 system for my room. Just the common Yamaha RX-V465 AV and the speakers(which I am still deciding which ones to buy), for the moment.

The Amp will be siting at the top of the table, instead of being inside a cabinet, More or less like this:

[/img]

Anyways, sorry about my awful drawings when the boss is not lurking around. The main problem is that, as you can see, I'm a bit short on the space department (The Amp will force me to remove one of the two gaming systems and alternate between the PS3 and the 360).

My question is more or less like this: I've seen several people doing things a bit like this: (random image picked from the internet)

I don't want to stack so many things, But I was thinking about having a Player (BR, The Old VHS, or a record player) stacked on top of the amp, just one thing, and putting some pegs on the player to raise it so It does not fully obstruct the air flow (At first I thought about putting the 360 in top of the amp, but that would probably be an insta-kill for the console).

I usually have an ambient temperature of 18-20 Celsius degrees, and given the small dimensions of my room (2,95 x 2,60 M) and the rather small studio speakers, I don't think I will be drawing a lot of of power from the Yamaha Amp like to generate an excessive ammount of heat.

So, would it be safe to stack one thing on top of the amp with some separation, or should I forget about it and leave the top empty to ensure the correct airflow?

Thanks to everybody, planifying the whole thing of the setup has been driving me nuts for a few months...

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
You should have more ventilation especially for the AVR and everything above it is going to get hot. (never stack anything on it or an amp).

Long term I believe equipment failure rates will increase exponentially. This means your probability of failure is greater then some one who has them spaced out better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More or less what i was thinking, but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Mmmm, I will have to keep thinking about something.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Check the receiver's manual to see exactly how much open space you need above it, but it probably says you need 6 to 8 inches for passive cooling. You can get away with only an inch or two if you use fans to move air across the top of the receiver, but you may not want to fool with active cooling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18270292

Check the receiver's manual to see exactly how much open space you need above it, but it probably says you need 6 to 8 inches for passive cooling. You can get away with only an inch or two if you use fans to move air across the top of the receiver, but you may not want to fool with active cooling.

From the manual:

It would require too much space, So I was thinking about another solution (Sorry, another crappy drawing):

I have a niche under the desk, which at the moment half of the space is being occupied by crappy inkjet printer that I rarely use, an small toolbox and some random crap. I suppose I could move the printer to another place, and I would have enough space for fitting a small cart or rack with enough space for a few players. It is open on the back, so there would be no heating problem for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts