AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 3 identical SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers that I want to place behind an Acoustically Transparent Silver Ticket Screen.

The problem I'm facing is that right next to the screen there is an electrical box just 11 inches from the screen wall.

I could put the 3 speakers flush on the wall (given that they are almost 9.5 inches deep without the grill) and still not end up with the screen in front of the electrical box, but I would not be able to toe in and aim the sides directly into my ears at the main listening position.

Would you recommend against making holes in the walls just the size of the speaker to put them 2 or 3 inches behind (however deep walls are) so I have a little room for angling them towards my ears?

I want to know if by doing this it would make them sound worse.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would ask SVS. If they have good customer service as advertised, they'll give you an informed response. To me, putting these in holes in the walls does not seem like a good idea.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I have 3 identical SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers that I want to place behind an Acoustically Transparent Silver Ticket Screen.

The problem I'm facing is that right next to the screen there is an electrical box just 11 inches from the screen wall.

I could put the 3 speakers flush on the wall (given that they are almost 9.5 inches deep without the grill) and still not end up with the screen in front of the electrical box, but I would not be able to toe in and aim the sides directly into my ears at the main listening position.

Would you recommend against making holes in the walls just the size of the speaker to put them 2 or 3 inches behind (however deep walls are) so I have a little room for angling them towards my ears?

I want to know if by doing this it would make them sound worse.
I wouldn't do that because the Primes have big rear ports and put out lots of mid-bass. You'd need to put in foam port plugs and run a pretty high crossover, maybe 100-120Hz.

Better idea especially if you want to preserve the ability to toe-in the L/R speakers would be to use L-brackets to mount them ABOVE the screen, tilted downwards towards your MLP.

Only downside to this is that you would lose the ability to do Atmos later since you need a bigger separation between the heights or in-ceilings. Whether that is actually any great loss is open to debate (I'm an Atmos skeptic, personally).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your input! I did reach out to customer service and they were great. They recommended I build a baffle wall so I'll look into that. I've decided I won't cut any holes in the existing structural wall though. I'll just toe in as much as physically possible which unfortunately I think won't be too much. I'll also play around with the foam plug idea and fiddle with crossovers to see what sounds best to me. I'm planning on doing atmos from the start so I won't be putting the LCR on top of the screen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts