AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if this would be worth bothering with. I have an MTX SW2 that I have had for many years. It seems to work fine but is the only SW I have ever owned. Maybe ignorance is bliss. :) I recently upgraded everything else in the HT and am happy with the results.

Samsung 60" F8500 Plasma
Klipsch RP 280 LR
Klipsch RC 62ii center
Klipsch RB 52ii surround
Sony STR-DN-1050 AVR

The MTX SW2 is a 12" dual ported down firing SW design.

SW2 Specifications
Woofer 12"
Amplifier Power 100 Watts
Frequency Response 35Hz-160Hz
Tuning Port
Input High/Line
Output Line
Phase Switch 0° /180°
Level Control variable control
Auto Turn on/off Yes
Low Pass Slope 18dB
Subsonic Filter [email protected]
Dimensions (HxWxD) 17 1/2" x 15" x 17"

The 100W seems pretty light for a 12" driver. Would a different amp make any improvement in the 35Hz response, or is that more a limit of the driver? Would it be worth upgrading the amp to something better from Parts Express or other? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
Time to upgrade. I still have one of these. It is leaps and bounds more inferior to a decent 12 or 15 you can get for a few hundred dollars. Probably the most boomy thing I have ever heard. :D

Everything else in your room is awesome. Definitely upgrade your sub next!

If you want to try your hand at DIY, this is a great beginner project at an unbeatable price:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...es-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-package--300-7094

·
Registered
966 Posts
Are you going to buy a sub from a retailer or DIY your own. You could buy a flatpack and driver with either a plate amp or external amp like the Inuke and be much happier. It depends on your budget. You will find hundreds of DIY sub builds in the forum.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time to upgrade. I still have one of these. It is leaps and bounds more inferior to a decent 12 or 15 you can get for a few hundred dollars. Probably the most boomy thing I have ever heard. :D

Everything else in your room is awesome. Definitely upgrade your sub next!

If you want to try your hand at DIY, this is a great beginner project at an unbeatable price:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...es-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-package--300-7094
Thanks. That is what I figured. I just missed an HSU VTF-2 MK4 on CL for $300:mad: I'll take a look at the DIY that you linked

Are you going to buy a sub from a retailer or DIY your own. You could buy a flatpack and driver with either a plate amp or external amp like the Inuke and be much happier. It depends on your budget. You will find hundreds of DIY sub builds in the forum.
Thanks. DIY was not too much of a thought but I could if it was the right setup. Problem is right now with all the other HT upgrades, the wife got new HW flooring, stairs coming next week. Just put new tires on her car yesterday. Some other big exp as well. Just dont want to spend a pile of $ on a pre made or DIY SW at the moment.

What would be a nice reasonable 12" project? A kit like linked above would be nice as I dont have fancy woodworking tools. Cabinet, driver and plate amp. I prefer a down firing but front would be OK. If so I would also want a grill on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
Just dont want to spend a pile of $ on a pre made or DIY SW at the moment.
The problem is that you're going to want to in the (very) near future. So you're probably better off spending nothing now and waiting until you can make a real investment.
There are several threads for different subwoofer budgets. Search them and see what you think.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
In the interim
what if
get REW, a calibrated mic - $100-125
and find out just how bad it is
or how good it might be if it were in a different location or a different xo or phase or etc. . . .
you have a good AVR just maybe there 's already an answer waiting for you to discover
my own sub binge was a result of seeing that 2 Klipsch sub 10's couldn't get any lower than 36-39 hz
and a 25 hz tone , the port couldn't handle it
AVS is a fantastic resource

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
The 100W seems pretty light for a 12" driver. Would a different amp make any improvement in the 35Hz response, or is that more a limit of the driver? Would it be worth upgrading the amp to something better from Parts Express or other? If so, any suggestions?
Since no one else is going to actually answer your question. No, replacing the amp is not likely to improved the sub much. Odds are the amp is sized fairly closely to the driver they used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts