AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly upgrading my home theatre and need some advice on a good subwoofer in a price range of $150 - $300 if possible. I might be willing to go up to $400 if it is really worth the extra money.

My use will be primarily for movies and below are some of my current specs. I'll be updating all of the speakers eventually, but I have a definite need for the sub first as my current one is toast. I'm also looking for a new receiver and want to spend less than $1000 for the Receiver and sub.

HDTV Sony 60" SXRD

Receiver - Looking at Yamaha 6090 or Onkyo 674

Front Speakers Sony MF750H

Rear Speakers Sony MF350H

In-cieling Rear - Yamaha IW360C

Center - Acoustic Research - Don't know model, but will update this as well

Room Size - Huge! roughly 700 square feet - 8' cielings, but HT area is focused to 16' x 20'

I'm no audiophile, but just looking for some help finding a quality sub for a decent price.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you want to stay within your original price range, you can get the BIC H100 for just over $200 shipped. This is a very good sub that will meet your needs. If you do a search on this board for that sub, you will find lots of info. Now if you can increase to $450-$500 you can step in to a really good sub from HSU. You will know where the extra money went.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also am in the market for a lower priced sub. I have read hundreds of posts in the last few days from here and many were favorable for the BIC H-100. It sounds like a pretty good sub for the money. Only problem; I haven't found it anywhere on the internet under $249 plus shipping. Where can you get it for around $200???

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramentosal /forum/post/0

I also am in the market for a lower priced sub. I have read hundreds of posts in the last few days from here and many were favorable for the BIC H-100. It sounds like a pretty good sub for the money. Only problem; I haven't found it anywhere on the internet under $249 plus shipping. Where can you get it for around $200???

Ebay. Ebay has a Buy It Now price and a Best Offer option which allows someone to make an offer for a lower price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bulldog, I'm in approximately the same boat. I was looking for a subwoofer for around sub-$400 and had pretty settled on the Bic H-100, as it highly recommended on this and other audio forums. However after reading many posts and various comparisons between the H100 and others, I've concluded (and I think most will agree) that HSU or SVS are better values. If I bought the H100, I think I'd only be satisfied with it momentarily and always wonder how much better the HSU or SVS are. Granted, you can do this with any level of gear because there is always something better out there, but at some point something is enough for you.

Long story short, though I haven't heard either sub personally, I would recommend the HSU STF-2 for $350 right now including shipping. The VTF1 or SVS PB10 are also good lower-priced choices, but exceed the $400 price limit. Howevere with a room that large, you may want to consider upping your budget even further.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed that the STF-2 is actually sold out and has been for at least a week.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I just got my H100 last week and got it calibrated. I was in the same boat as the op. I am very happy with the purchase and have no regrets. It is very loud and precise. Just what I wanted.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
If you'd like to stay at the low end of your budget, I'd like to throw the Velodyne VX-10 into the mix. It's a great sounding sub for the money, and it has reviewed very well for that price point. FWIW, you can pick up the VX-10 at Vans for $169.99 including shipping... possibly cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog21 /forum/post/0

I am slowly upgrading my home theatre and need some advice on a good subwoofer in a price range of $150 - $300 if possible. I might be willing to go up to $400 if it is really worth the extra money.

Well, only you can decide for yourself if it's "worth the extra money".

Try to find a store where you can experience a range of subs.

But as others have said, in the 200-250 range you can't go wrong with the BIC H-100.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.