AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I am in the process of building a home theater. The install will not be permanent at this point as I am in an apartment and will be moving at some point. So far, I have purchased:

Energy Take Classic (7) speakers

Tannoy 10" subwoofer (came with some krk rokit 5 monitors from craigslist)

Optoma HD65 720P projector (will be selling this one)

Optoma HD20 1080P projector

Denon AVR-4308, AVR-3310, AVR-890 (AVR-2310), and AVR-1910 (will be keeping one, and selling the others)

The weak point at this point is of course the speakers. I figure they are the best bang for the buck at a budget level and will serve me well until I upgrade to some Monitor Audio RX6 (also would like to try Magnepan speakers)

Anyway, at this point my only decision is which AV receiver will give me the greatest bang for the buck without leaving me with buyer's remorse (wishing I had gone up OR down in the chain).

I will not be keeping the 4308 - the 3310 is my limit. I know that the 1910 is a really great receiver on a budget, but lacks things like the high-end video processor and a bit on the guts of the amplifier. It would be plenty if I planned to keep my Energy speakers - but not so much if I upgraded to the MA Silvers or Mangepans. The 2310 from what I read is the starting point for higher end systems.

I guess my main question is - is there a good reason to choose the 3310 over the 2310? I will be reading some of the posts in the owner's threads, but wanted to start my own in order to get some personalized feedback.

Let me know what you all think, and thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

If I am not mistaken, the AVR-2310 does not have preamp outputs. In which case, I would definitely get the 3310.

If you are considering Maggies, you will really need either a really powerful AVR or ideally an outboard power amplifier for them to sound their best.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will try to keep the 3310. It seems a bit more substantial in several ways... AL24+ processing for fronts (whatever that is), more power, cleaner front panel, heftier weight, network support with internet audio, substantially more composite and s-video inputs, 3 vs 2 source/zone output, 7.1 channel preamp outputs, etc.

As an aside - Audiodork, do you have first-hand experience with Magnepans? I have read several rave reviews on the MMGW - apparently they are the bargain of the century or something :| I wouldn't know - I haven't heard them.

I am fairly convinced though that as far as traditional speakers go, the Monitor Audio RS-6 (now RX-6) are an incredible value - I have heard them and they are impressive, speakers that I would be happy with and not be wanting to upgrade.

However, I know that the MMGW's are a completely different speaker and would have a vastly different sound. I am wondering in what ways would they be superior to MA Silver and in what ways would they be inferior.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Electrostatic speakers tend to take a lot of power to drive them. Most AVRs don't have the power to make them or you happy.

Being a flat panel speaker they tend also to be somewhat directional - more-so than cone drivers. The upside of that is if you are sitting in the sweet spot they throw a beautiful 3D sound stage.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought that electrostatic was less directional... that the sweet spot was much larger than traditional speakers

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Maggies are not Electrostatic Speakers. They use a True Ribbon Driver/Planar-Magnetic Driver in the 3.6 and the 20.1 and Quasi Ribbon/ Planar-Magnetic Driver in the less expensive Models.

Like Electrostatic Speakers, they are Dipoles, but use an entirely different means of making sound. I love Maggies and with the larger Models, the sheer size of them offsets them being fairly directional.

I completely agree that they need a powerful Amplifier to sound their best as they are not that easy to drive. Some upper tier AVR's could do a good job, but entry level AVR's would not be the best combo.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about MMGW x 6 and MMGC for center. Would that be a bad choice if i were trying to create a good sound for a larger audience of 10-15 seats? When you say directional, to me that basically says that they are not good for flexible placement/seating - or that only the seats in the middle of the listening are are going to be any good. What's your take on this?

Would the Denon AVR-3310 work well at 120W x 7 ?

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
If you are interested in those speakers you might read a few reviews of them first. They bottom out at 100hz and their efficiency is rated 88db at 5ohms. Great looking speaker by the way. They don't even look like a speaker. Magnepan have a 60 day trial period - don't like them? send them back. I'd say give them a tryout and see if they are for you. It is the only way you'll ever know for sure.

audiodork - thanks for the technical correction - I get the different flat panel speakers mixed up. End result is the same however - it takes more than average power to drive them well.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would not go with the AVR-3310 to drive Maggies. I would actually grab a TX-SR876 for 829 Dollars while still available at Accessories4less : http://www.accessories4less.com/make...Silver-/1.html

It weighs over 50 pounds and has a far stronger amplifier section than the 3310 which weighs 28.6 pounds.

Here is a Bench Test of the TX-SR875: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html

Also, the TX-SR876 uses the excellent Reon Video Processor and adds THX Ultra2 Plus.

Cheers,

AD

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Lots of muscle in that 876. I know a guy with the 875 which has the same amp section - he drives a 5.0 Infinity Cascade speakers. I was impressed enough to buy the Cascades. So far so good. They are a flat panel speaker but use traditional voice coils. Off axis sound is quite good for a flat panel speaker - the tweeter is the more normal 1" CMMD that Infinity has perfected -- or nearly so. They sound very good.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I really think if even considering Maggies that the 876 is the way to go. Especially at that price. Moreover, Reon is truly one of the best Video Processors available in AVR's.

I use a TX-SR875 as a preamp in my HT and could not be happier. If I was using any other Speakers than Martin Logan ESL Series, I would have no problem using the amplification in the 875.

Cheers,

AD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts