AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am going to be setting up my first sound system. I have an old computer that I'm going to turn into an HTPC. I purchased a pair of Polk Audio tsi100 bookshelf speakers for dirt cheap. That gave me the idea to look for a receiver and sub and have a nice little 2.1 set up for the living room.

I've never done this before and am quite naive when it comes to audio equipment. I have no clue as to what type of receiver I need or a sub to go with it. Could you guys give me some recommendations and advice on this subject?

I'm also not sure how an "A/V receiver" works - concerning the video aspect of it. It sounds simple enough but I just want to make sure I am getting this. If I plug in the output from my HTPC into an input on the receiver and have the output from the receiver going to an input in my TV - the video signal will go from the HTPC to the receiver and then get passed to the TV?

Thanks!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakel2  /t/1520160/would-like-input-on-a-2-1-setup-with-my-htpc#post_24417798

Hey, I am going to be setting up my first sound system. I have an old computer that I'm going to turn into an HTPC. I purchased a pair of Polk Audio tsi100 bookshelf speakers for dirt cheap. That gave me the idea to look for a receiver and sub and have a nice little 2.1 set up for the living room.

I've never done this before and am quite naive when it comes to audio equipment. I have no clue as to what type of receiver I need or a sub to go with it. Could you guys give me some recommendations and advice on this subject?

I'm also not sure how an "A/V receiver" works - concerning the video aspect of it. It sounds simple enough but I just want to make sure I am getting this. If I plug in the output from my HTPC into an input on the receiver and have the output from the receiver going to an input in my TV - the video signal will go from the HTPC to the receiver and then get passed to the TV?

Pretty much. HDMI is the preferred interface for A/V of all sorts including computer video. Most modern desktops and all but the cheapest laptops have HDMI outputs, and there is hardly an A/V receiver that lacks HDMI inputs. If you have an older desktop that lacks a proper HDMI output, there are inexpensive video cards that let you add them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.