AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scouring this forum for a few days now and have found some really great info. However, I've seen mixed threads in my searches regarding component video.

To start, here's my current setup:

Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8Ghz

Memory: 2GB DDR3

PS: Rosewill Green Series RG430-S12

Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250

Media Drive: LITE-ON 4X Blu-Ray iHOS104-06

Hard Drives: 80GB-OS, 1.5TB-Movies, Music Photos, 500GB-DVR

Video Card:Just purchased Galaxy GeForce 9500GT (haven't installed it yet)

Front End: Windows Media Center

Television: Panasonic 42" Plasma (TH-42PX50U)

What I want to do:

-Eliminate set top box

-Watch DVD's and Blu-Ray

-Watch ripped (that I own) and purchased digital movies

-Watch Live TV and Record

-Netflix

-Hulu

Ok, that's my hardware setup. My plasma is from 2006 and only has 1 HDMI port. Found out the hard way, that the TV doesn't accept a PC output over HDMI (madness).

That was ok by me, since I've been using component cables since I bought it anyways. However, I'd been having problems finding a video card these days that would allow for component out.

After some research on this board, I saw a few solutions, with middling success and sometimes sounded like a difficult setup to get it working right.

I really would NOT have to purchase a new TV right now, as my budget for this project is devoted to the HTPC.

Has anyone out there successfully setup hooking their HTPC via component to their HD TV with easy setup? If so, were you using one of the 9xxx series GeForce cards? Any recommendations on any other cards?

Thanks for any input, I've enjoyed reading through the depth of knowledge that's been presented in this forum and hope someone can offer me some sage-like advice. I'm experienced with PC's and servers, but this is my first time working with getting them attached to a TV.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Curious to see how you make out, since my ATI 4350 component out with Win7/ATI Catalyst isn't happening. Catalyst (ATI's setup software) won't recognize my TV and I'm not getting any options to set that I can see to create HD quality output to the TV. Not sure if an Nvidia card will be any better, but I'm curious to see how successful you are. Your plasma may recognize better than my CRT though, or at least be capable of accepting inputs similar to you regular monitor. Keep us posted on how things go.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
CT when you got the drivers did you get the whole package or just the individual driver? I have heard that individual drivers can sometimes be a newer build than the catalyst package and therefore better. I dont know for sure just waht I have read here sorry to be off topic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts