AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have moved into a house (finally) and are looking to 'slowly' upgrade our stereo system. We eventually want a system for home theatre and music (50/50 split between them). Since, we live in Okemos, MI (near Lansing - not many choices here) we have been auditioning speakers for our new main speakers (leaning towards a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8i's - excellent speakers for $1,400.00). We are planning to keep our receiver for a while (an old Harmon Kardon 795i - about 65 watts per channel) and our DVD player (a Denon DCD-820 - plays any CD you can throw at it - scratched, CD-R's - plays them all) and our Dual turntable. Any other suggestions for speakers - I have went through B&W, Klipsh, Definitive Audio, and a few others - after extensive listening (I drove my wife crazy ;-) ) we are close to buying a pair of the Monitor Audio's. I was wondering if there are any others to listen to, in that price range.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello botrytis

Don't forget PSB and Paradigm speakers. Both have fine offerings in this price range. KEF does as well but isn't available everywhere.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
827 Posts
In that price range, the VMPS RM-1 (Ribbon Monitor) wuld seem to be the best bet.

http://www.vmpsaudio.com/rmonpic.htm

They list for $1580 but I know where they can be located for less.

Monitor Audio makes great product, but these speakers are in a whole nother league.

They would be an excellent foundation for a complete system.

John Casler

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have been extreamly happy with my PSB's. I run the 5T's with 2 pair of the 2B's and the 9C center

If you dont mind going to windsor to get them you can get a HECK of a deal.

at that price you might be able to get into the stratus line and if you step up a little you might even be able to get into the Golds.

and the bridge and tunnel realy aren't that much of a hassel as of late

·
Registered
250 Posts
Where in Windsor do you find the PSB speakers? I'm trying to get a feel for how much a deal you can get there as I work near Detroit and could swing over there quite easily.

Does the retailer have a website?

·
Registered
159 Posts
For $1400 there are a host of speaker possibilities that in my opinion would sound better than the Monitor Audio Silver series. They are very bright sounding, and with the thought of using them in a home theater, you may find them fatiguing and harsh. In addition to the previously mentioned PSB, try to audition some ProAc, Dynaudio, Triangle and Tannoy speakers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am a big Monitor Audio fan. I think the 8i's are out of production and you can probably find the 9i's for around the same price. A while back I built a full Silver cinema with 9i's as mains, FXi surrounds, 10i center and two ASW-210 subs. The sound was incredible and rivaled many more expensive lines. I would however, recommend the 12i center as a better match for the bigger mains.

Thanks!

Sam

·
Registered
276 Posts
botrytis,

VMPS speakers, Diva Swans, Triad, etc., tend to provide a bit more speaker for the dollar than those normally found in HT/stereo shops. If you're willing to do a good bit of online research, and maybe go listen to speakers against which they are often compared, you might find it not too much of a risk to go with something like these--even without an audition. Though you could always post a message on the various forums asking if any locals might have the speakers you're interested in, and thus might even manage an audition.

Myself, I'd be inclined to go for the VMPS RM-1 or Diva 6.1's, but then I like gourmet rootbeers while some other folks think I'm nuts.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always do online research. In fact, that is what I partially do for a living, ONLINE RESEARCH. My major job is RESEARCH in s biochemical slant. I never go into any decision NAMBY-PAMBY. I make it on reviews from known sources and actual hearing/working with the product. One of my recent CD's to use for speaker auditions is by an artist named Armik. The CD is called Gypsy Flame. It is a new age guitar/flameco guitar type of CD. This music stresses the dynamic nature and 3D effect the speakers can show. This is an important feature for Gloria and myself (my name is DAVE, if you must know). We have a varied interest in music - from classical to, well, you name it. We really try to listen to everything and that is the problem. Not every speaker is 'tuned' to all types of music. For example, B&W are great for classical and Klipsch are great for heavy metal. I am trying to find one that can do it all (IT MAY BE IMPOSSIBLE!!) - I will try anyway.

Keep the advice coming!!

botrytis

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hi Dave. I'll keep my admittedly biased opinion to myself regarding the speakers ( :D ) but you can request an audition here . It's a site set up by an AVS forum member. Basically current Diva owners who enjoy showing off their gear have signed up and you can see if there is anyone in your area so you can hear for yourself. An added bonus is being able to hear the speakers in a real world environment.

If you do go for an audition, I'd like to hear what you think regardless of the outcome...

Good Luck!

Sean

·
Registered
448 Posts
I vote Diva's!!! They are the greatest!!!! If you live in the DC are contact me for an audition.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
If they are available in your area, you may also want to listen to Snell. Handles all types of music very well, phase coherent, pairs are tuned to +/- 1 through the midband, etc. They are not terribly power hungry but will take a ton if you throw it at them.

My .02

·
Registered
860 Posts
Demo the Paradigm Reference Studio line. If you like what you hear, you are close enough to the Canadian border that going across for the huge discount makes sense. Paradigms in Canada still rank as one of the best deals in audio currently available. Try demoing the Studio 40's, 60's, and 100's. The Paradigm website should tell you if there is a dealer near you. I would go for that or the Divas previously mentioned, given your price range.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gourmet rootbeers? Sounds interesting. I'd like to know more about this.

Doesn't VMPS have a dealer in Michigan??

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Of all the Monitor speakers I have heard, the Gold series ae by far the best, heads above the Silver and Bronze. The Diva 6.1 is more at this performance level, but without the brightness. If you are looking for speakers that are outstanding performers for both HT and music, I would give serious consideration to a Diva package. They have the perfect combination of looks, sound, and quality of construction that I don't think you will be able to match at the price point they are selling for. I have had mine for a year now, and they still have the ability to bring a smile to my face everytime I crank them up.

Good Luck,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.