AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am located in the west suburbs of Chicago and would greatly appreciate a fellow member "showing off" their HDTV HTPC setup to me before I take the plunge.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody in the Chicago area willing to show me their setup? Perhaps I am asking for something not usually done - nevertheless I would be grateful if someone did.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Actually, in some areas people have had "AVS Forum parties" at the home of one local member.

I used to live in the Chicago area. If you visit northern California, I would be happy to let you check out my HDTV/HTPC system.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Paul,

I'm in Chicago, but I do not have an HDTV tuner card in my HTPC if that's what you're looking for. I use mine for DVD, MP3 playing and streaming and web browsing. I have a Mitsubishi 65" RPTV.

I'd be glad to show you what I've got. If that'll do.

Sam

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for responding.

Sam - I am hoping to get first hand HDTV PVR knowledge. Given WBBM/CBS issues I would really like to know of a successful configuration before I take out the credit card.

Chris - Thank you for your offer. No plans as such to visit Northern California at the moment! Which card are you using though and how remote friendly is your setup? How often do you have to pull out the keyboard/mouse?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by paul_j_ghosh
Chris - Thank you for your offer. No plans as such to visit Northern California at the moment! Which card are you using though and how remote friendly is your setup? How often do you have to pull out the keyboard/mouse?
Paul-

I have a HiPix DTV-200. My computer is a dual-use setup feeding both a desktop monitor/keyboard/mouse, and the 61" Sony with an RF wireless mouse and Airboard IR wireless keyboard. I have a Pronto remote control set up to duplicate most of the keyboard functions of the HiPix as well as Zoom Player for DVDs. I have never taken the time to fully make the system remote operable, so I still typically start the HiPix from my desktop location, though it would not be hard to use a Windows shortcut to start it-I have done that in the past. I highly recommend the HiPix for its support here on AVS Forum, as well as the Airboard keyboard and Pronto remote control for their compatibility and flexibility.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris,

Thank you for replying. I do have a Pronto already and love it! The HiPix only has one antenna input unless I am mistaken. That would imply inability to connect cable and antenna. Nevertheless, I am leaning towards the HiPix because of the forum development team.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Paul-

The HiPix has two RF inputs, but only one can be used for ATSC/HDTV. NTSC/analog can be set to use either input, and the second input can also be set to cable-ready mode (standard/HRC/IRC, for analog cable only). There has been mention of changing the software to allow cable-channel tuning of ATSC channels, but I don't know if that will also allow use of the second input for digital as well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am the Scott Conrad is talking about.

Please pm me and you can come over.

I have a HiPx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.