AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an external hard drive that I've connected to the PS3 (FAT32), but the problem is the 4gig file size limit. HD movies are usually larger than that.

Anyone figured out a workaround?

Can I connect the laptop directly to the PS3, or is there a way to stream using wifi?

I can't imagine you can do it without hardwiring. Please let me know your config, so I can duplicate!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
875 Posts
You can stream over wifi, but I'd recommend wired for best quality. Download the PS3 Media Server program or the free version of Tversity.

You can also use Windows Media Player, although I find it kind of hard to manage.

·
Registered
526 Posts
PS3 Media Server works for me but I'm hardwired.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Buy a network hard drive like a Lacie Network Space, hardwire it to your router and put all of your movies on that.

I find streaming from a computer (specifically a laptop) to be a pain. The Network HDD works pretty much the same as an external HDD but obviously doesn't have the FAT32 downfall.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer /forum/post/20766373

My work around is I start the PS3 media server and just copy the movie to the hard drive from the laptop wirelessly. Usually Takes a little over an hour to copy the movie to the PS3 then just play it from the HDD.

I'm such a noob at this stuff. I have the PS3 media server but how do I copy a file from the computer to the PS3 wirelessly?

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva
I'm such a noob at this stuff. I have the PS3 media server but how do I copy a file from the computer to the PS3 wirelessly?

Thanks
Find the media server under video on the PS3. Navigate to the file you want to copy then hit the triangle button and select "Copy." If you can't find the file make sure the folder it's located in is included in the shared folders under the "Navigation/Shared Settings" tab in the PS3 media server (on your PC.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.