AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would my subwoofer benifit from being plugged into an Automatic Voltage Regulator ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
No, not unless you have speaker hum from a ground loop issue. In that case plugging into a auto volt reg would fix the ground loop as a side affect.

Speakers however: if you have a high whine or constant static noise plugging your amp (or AV receiver) into an auto volt reg would help.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049  /t/1525162/would-my-subwoofer-benifit-from-being-plugged-into-an-avr#post_24552002

No, not unless you have speaker hum from a ground loop issue. In that case plugging into a auto volt reg would fix the ground loop as a side affect..
Only if the regulator didn't have a common ground connection between the input and output. Some do, some don't. There are good tools for fixing ground loops, but a voltage regulator isn't one of them.

Voltage regulation should almost never be used with high current draw devices, like amplifiers. They can do more harm than good.

Reactions: TomC1315

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was assuming it was sufficient enough quality to handle the load and the specs of everything being plugged into it were well looked over and nothing was having its specs exceeded...... right TomC1315? You did do your homework first?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1525162/would-my-subwoofer-benifit-from-being-plugged-into-an-avr#post_24552094

Only if the regulator didn't have a common ground connection between the input and output. Some do, some don't. There are good tools for fixing ground loops, but a voltage regulator isn't one of them.

Voltage regulation should almost never be used with high current draw devices, like amplifiers. They can do more harm than good.
Fortunately, for some reason or another ( my previous sub had one in the same location, although it was plugged into the AVR and this one isn't ... maybe that's the reason :) there is no ground loop hum. 

Regarding "high current draw devices, like amplifiers", would that include my Marantz SR5007 AVR?

5.2 speakers ... check.   Marantz AVR and Blu ray player ... check.    TV ... check.     Sound treatments for the room ... not within the realm of possibilities (WAF).

Next upgrade ?   Power conditioner or something along those lines, assuming the two AVRs aren't appropriate ?  I need some sort of device to plug everything ( other than the subs :) into ...

Recommendations regarding my approach to power management ?

Thank you Bill for sharing your perspective :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049  /t/1525162/would-my-subwoofer-benifit-from-being-plugged-into-an-avr#post_24552134

I was assuming it was sufficient enough quality to handle the load and the specs of everything being plugged into it were well looked over and nothing was having its specs exceeded...... right TomC1315? You did do your homework first?
At the present moment, I have my Marantz SR5007 and UD5007, along with the Samsung flat screen plugged into the one  (1,200 watt) AVR and an Apple TV and one of my SVS SB2000s plugged into the other (1,200 watt) AVR.

I was under the assumption that I did my homework in that all the devices add up to less than 1,200 watts ... of course, I realize that being relatively new to this ( a year and a half ago I thought my Bose 701s were "the cat's pajamas"... they're now long gone :), I could have missed something in my assessment of the situation.

Additionally, in a separate but related thread I initiated today here on AVS, a fellow member ( amirm ) advises that I shouldn't plug my subs into anything other than a wall outlet and that a subwoofer doesn't benefit from voltage regulation and will put undue stress on the AVR. 

Any recommendations as to how I might better approach and address my power management ?

Thank you too rush for your sharing your perspective :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
It sounds like you did, staying under the specced wattage is good.

I use this and run all my devices through it: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-Theater-Console--Black/dp/B001541R5W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396303191&sr=1-1&keywords=pf60

As I have a non 0-volt ground in my house. AKA something somewhere is feeding voltage onto the ground. And as I have powered speakers (and sub) I could hear the voltage frequency in my speakers without any audio signal cable plugged into them.

I am right at the limit of the power conditioner's wattage with:

Samsung 60F8500 plasma

HSU ULS 15 subwoofer

Onkyo TX-NR809

2x KRK 10-3 front mains

2x Mackie MR8mk2

Now I don't consider any of those 'high power' devices. I plan on in a few months adding a Cerwin Vega 5000 Watt amp and two more subwoofers, which will not be running through the power conditioner as it would not be able to handle the power draw.

I do have the sub in one of the 'high amperage' outlets which has beefier, but less filtering on it.

I should mention that my outlet is on its own 30 amp breaker and the ground noise is coming from another circuit in the house.. or maybe the power line itself, I am not sure.

A tip is if you are hearing noise, make the ground connection between your power filtering devices and the receiver(s). Most receivers have a ground terminal on the back, run a thick(ish) gauge wire between it and the power filtering device. If you notice receivers typically do not have a three prong plug (missing the ground) and expect to get it from elsewhere. At the very least get a cheater plug that breaks the third prong from the outlet out and connect the receiver there. You will be surprised with how many issues this fixes.

In the event that your Marantz doesn't have a ground terminal (which after looking quickly on the internet I couldn't find a reference of one) you can use the phono ground or pick a good chassi screw and attach it there.....

For myself I connect my onkyo's ground terminal to the provided breakout ground on the belkin power filtering device. It got rid of a lot of noise that I was hearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts