AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people out there actually own the Sanyo PLV-60. I would like to hear the opinions of the owners of this unit. Many people have a lot to say about dust, solarization, graininess, screen door etc, etc, but do they really own one and have they spent any time with the unit???. With all these inherent problems people still seem to like the unit, so it cant be too bad??.

Over on Projectorcentral it is listing as the second most popular projector !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
markGI

I have been monitoring this forum for some time and agree with you. Lots of people talking about things but I don't know if many own the Sanyo projector.

I bought it about 1 month ago from the projectorpeople in Florida. I have been very impressed with the performance so far.

Regarding the problems you mentioned

If you look hard enough and get close enough, of course you will see the screen door effect, its an LCD --- so sit back where the picture is good.

Have seen no sign of graininess as you mentioned above, not sure what you meen here?

The solarization has not been noticeable, sometimes when a dark sceen jumps to a bright scene, the picture seems very bright, but it does not concern me, I would not consider it a problem.

No dust issues thus far.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I own the Studio Experience Cinema 13HD, which is basically a PLV-60HT. I have been very happy with it.

I can't speak for the internal scaler or the quality of HD programming (yet), since I've used it with an HTPC right out of the box, but DVD playback is phenomenal. I haven't noticed the solarization that others have complained about, and while I've seen some posterization, it really looks to be in the source.

Color fidelity is excellent... contrast is excellent. The black levels on an off-white wall are ok, but I'm looking forward to getting a Grayhawk in the near future (and hopefully convincing my wife that painting the screenwall a dark gray isn't the end of the world).

The image is definitely not as smooth as a DLP, and after owning an lp350 for a bit less than a year, it was noticeable at first, but mostly in small text on the Windows desktop... and now that I've gotten all of the display settings tweaked, it has really become a non-issue. I'm also sitting 9ft. away from an 87" diagonal image, so pixel structure is more evident in such a small room.

There is also a project underway (check out the PLV-60 threads on www.thebigpicturedvd.com) to bring a calibration tool called SMART to the PLV-60. The person working on the project there has reported a substantial increase in contrast ratio following initial calibrations, making an already excellent image even better.

I watch a good mix of 4:3 and widescreen sources, so I wasn't sure at first whether or not to go with the PLV-60 or the XPN-21, but I'm glad that I went for the 16:9 projector. The extra-wide PC desktop is very cool.

I'd definitely recommend the projector. However, in a more general sense, I would strongly recommend against buying anything based on 3rd party opinion, posted screen shots, etc. Either visit a dealer and view a demo or arrange an in-house demo if possible... much better to see a projector in your own environment. You may or may not be sensitive to screen door, rainbow (if you're auditioning a DLP) or whatever other issues exist (and all projectors have their issues). It really comes down to your personal preference.

As far as the 13HD (PLV-60HT), I believe Studio Experience has a rental program going on right now where you can rent the 13HD and try it out, then apply the rental to the purchase if you buy it. I got something the mail from them the other day about it, but I didn't pay too much attention since I already own the projector. I'd suggest giving them a call.

-Mike

[This message has been edited by mhamel (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike,

I have looked at it on several occasions and beleive it is the best LCD around at the moment. I have looed at the Toshiba MT-7 and also the new Sony 11HT, but to me the Sanyo is the best all-round.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I picked up a Cinema 13HD as well approximately 3 weeks ago. Great picture but had problems with dust, one red blotch right in the middle of the screen. Studioexperience is cleaning it at no charge (other than not having the projector for 1-2 weeks).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I own a PLV-60. I love it. I have a JVC progressive DVD player, and a Stewart Grayhawk. I've had it for almost 2 months. I've had dust blobs. The first time I saw them I sent it to sanyo for cleaning. It came back with a completely new dust blob. The second time I underwent cleaning it myself. it was an extremely easy procedure. After doing it myself (which I called sanyo support before I did it to confirm that I wouldn't void the warranty) I find it easy enough to do that it isn't a big deal. After all, I have to dust off the glass of my regular tv once in a while, the only difference if you have to open the box for this one.

I have seen the solarization problems.. I'll say it's source related sometimes.. projector related other times. I hope sanyo can address this. This is just about the only thing affecting the picture quality of this projector, and honestly it's really minor. it doesn't bug anyone else who watches the projector except me. I don't think I'd have noticed it except that I read these forums, and it has made me obsessed, and now I look at EVERY scene and evaluate the picture quality instead of enjoying the movie.

screendoor isn't a problem really.. I notice it when I stand closer to the screen than I should, but not other than that..

The "graininess" problem is really the solarization problem I think. they're similar. solarization (or it should be more accurately called posterization, but somehow we got stuck calling it solarization..) manifests itself in that fields of color which have subtle gradients become a single color. In most scenes, the area where solarization is present is a very small area, and these small patches of single color could be mistaken for a grainy picture.

I own this projector, and if I had to do it again I'd probably buy it again. The problems you list are at least known quantities. Almost every other projector falls short in some way, even the new ones. screen door, and dusting have 100% workarounds. solarization we're hoping for a workaround for, and in some cases you can reduce it. but other than that it's a great projector and a great value.

·
Registered
46 Posts
oops. forgot to mention image dropouts.. make sure you get a DVD player thats known to work with this projector. The Panasonic RP-91 is known to work. Certain ones are known to stop the image during a bright flash scene, like an explosion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm using the JVC XV-S65GD. It's progressive scan, and cheaply available at any best buy.. It was kind of a compromise in that it let me get a progressive scan DVD player right away, while I save for a more expensive one. this one will eventually be used for a different TV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again folks, this helps make the decision easier. Does anyone know of problems with the projector and Marantz DVD players?

What about all the talk of firmware, is it user upgradeable or only factory?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchaced a PLV60, so far very happy with the single exception of black level. Of course, I'm using a non-flat slightly bowed, non-smooth, bright white wall... I hope and expect things to improve with a real screen.

I've been using it with a number of different sources, but OTA HDTV looks best. There was a question about it's internal scaler and HDTV -- it works very well, no visible artifacts or problems. Even the SD digital broadcasts look good.

Note that I'm primarly using the BNC inputs for HD, I tried using the VGA input and wasn't as happy with the results. It could have been the setup, but I have not gone back and figured out what was going on.

DVD's can look good, but it really depends on the disk. Any problems like a bad transfer show up much more than on a smaller RPTV.

Anyone have hints on settings to improve black levels? I've gone through played with color & tint, reduced the sharpening most of the way, but I've not gone through a full setup tuning yet.

No solarization that I've noticed.

Computer desktop very stable and clear.

Full disclosure on input hardware: Panasonic RP-91 and HTPC with AccessDTV decoder card. Random old long cables and adapters.

Peter

·
Registered
121 Posts
Webdanb,

funny I just got my Cinema13HD back from StudioExperience after having it cleaned, turned it on, and low and behold another dust blob (blue dot left side of the screen). I am debating sending it back again (I've got to figure its getting banged around via Fedex) versus cleaning it myself.

I will probably clean it myself.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am looking also at buying the Sanyo or StudioExperience models. Are these the exact same units? It seems the Sanyo has the added Scaler and I have not seen this on SE's product specs anywhere. Also, Runco's come out with a new, modified LCD model which is very close to the specs of these 2 units. SE says it's the same internal stuff but Runco modifed it a bit and added their external Vivix PFP video processor. It sells for 18k to 20k also due to the increased performance from all the added stuff. Since you guys own these units, can you elaborate more on the pros and cons. I saw the Sony VP11 and was awestruck with the quality but found the price too high. Can you add to this? Thanks!

------------------

nino :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nino,

The PLV60-HT and the SE 13HD are the same, as far as I know...with the same scaler. I own the 13HD, and have been very happy with it. Personally, I wouldn't pay $20K for the Runco version. For that money I'd buy the 13HD, a very nice HTPC, a Grayhawk and still have $12,000 left over

to buy my wife something so she wouldn't put me out in the shed for buying another projector, screen and computer. ;-)

-Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a new plv-60ht from projector people yesterday. Setup was easy... the remote is simple but everything is pretty intuitive.

Picture quality- Well, my wife quite skeptical initially as I rearranged our room... I turned on the projector and she was blown away. Watched "Along came a Spider" off my Sony 9000es and came away very happy.

Later I temporarily hooked up my dish 6000 and sampled some HDTV Showtime and HBO. Remarkable is the feeling we both ended up with.

One thing that really surprised both of us was how watchable it is with the lights on or windows open. Put on "Pinocchio" for my 3 year old daughter and she sat there transfixed .... this was mid-day today with all of the curtains wide open in a 20 x 20 room with 3 large windows.

It is dramatically better with the room darkened but still very watchable in contrast to the Sony 10H we looked at a few weeks ago.

Fan noise: you can hear it but its not very loud and not objectionable for us.

I am using a diy 102" screen temporarily made of wood, white gecco canvas and gaffer's tape. It looks really great already but I am anxious to see it on the new grey screen I am building.(see grey screen paint earlier posts)

Overall we are extremely happy.

One thing, there is some screen door but you need to be about 9 feet or closer to really notice it.

Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mike, plannr,

Thanks for your replies! You mentioned Greyhawk (Stewart)...For this type of projector with the LCD output up to 1200 lumens, will it be dramatically be better or the colors be washed out? I understand the blacks can get better with this but I'd like the red, blue and green to stand out. Also, looking to purchase the DVDO IScan Pro line doubler for my NTSC sources mainly...you guys think this is a good idea for the money? One last thing, any suggestions for an HDTV tuner for below a grand? I was deciding to go with the Mitsubishi HD500. Thanks again!

------------------

nino :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dear ninoe99,

I'm finding it a tough call on the grey versus white screen.

I like the colors on the white as they are noticeably brighter and skin tones are warmer. I like the black levels and contrast with the grey screen.

I would suggest that you see for yourself with this projector before you go spend real $$ on an expensive screen. As an alternative, you could do the diy screen route and for under $200.00, I have built 2 102" screens, one white and one grey.

Regarding the hd tuner, take a look at a Dish 6000 with the optional digital tuner cartridge. For about $500, you get Showtime, HBO and a pay per view HD + with the tuner cartridge, local digital channels on the same menu.

Better than switching input sources like the RCA dtc100 from Direct TV. I see no point in buying a HDTV tuner only-

you have limited programing and commercials anyway. HDTV movies are the way to go!

Good luck

[This message has been edited by plannr (edited 09-30-2001).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
ALL- Great thread and thanks for all of the valuable input as I am currently searching for the best projector in the $5,000 range. I am currently finishing my basement and will be deciding and purchasing by Spring '02.

Plannr- Could the difference in daylight watching (Pinocchio) be due to the improved contrast of the Sanyo?? I have two kids and DVD's will be viewed with lights on (but set and controlled with Lutron's Grafik Eye 3104 with no other ambient/outdoor light leaking into basement).

Do all of these units have built in line-doublers for viewing cable/NTSC sources?? I am concerned about picture quality with Comcast cable feed.....I know, I know get Satellite HDTV......Problem is I will have 5 TV's in my house once basement theater/projector is finished.

Are all of these projectors available for less than $5,000 or right around there?

Thanks Much,

Brett ([email protected])

------------------

Klipsch

KLF-30's Mains

KLF-C7 Center

KSP-S6 Surrounds (2pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Marantz SR8000 DD/DTS

Toshiba SD-4205 5 Disc DVD

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitsu VCR

Monster Cable speaker cables & Sub cable

Audioquest interconnects

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dear bloomis914,

I can only speak for certain on the projectors I have actually seen, but the sony 10h, 11h, toshiba and the sanyo all have internal scalers.

They also happen to be the only current 16x9 chip projectors out. I have also seen the Sanyo xp21 and it is great for 4x3 but to me the plv-60 was better with dvd, hdtv sources. The xp21 is worth looking at however if you are really concerned with ambient light.

For me it was a no-brainer. I have better dvd and hdtv with the sanyo and it is plenty bright enough for all but bright sunlight viewing. I say this as we have'nt ordered our drapes in the new house and there are 4 3x4 foot windows in the room and 2 more arch shaped ones. Late afternoon is not an option as the sun pokes through on the screen but morning- (think kids!)is fine. The blinds are coming...

In the end, All of the projectors in this price range of 5k are compromises ... but they are amazing compromises! I found the color, contrast, brightness quality and usablility of the Sanyo plv-60ht to edge out in the end.

FYI, ProjectorPeople.com is where I got mine and they had demos that had 3hours on them for 4500 full warranty etc. Guaranteed that they would not ship until the tech signed off on no dust blobs, stuck pixels etc.

I talked to a guy named Ross MacCegy who pleasantly surprised my cynical mind by providing me with actual educated opinions and advice. Sales can be an honorable profession after all. I got a new one for 4600 and have'nt looked back.

Regarding HDTV receivers, I still say get a dish 6000 and tuner as it is only 500 and with a sw64 switch you can run 4 receivers off of one set of dishes. Get the one hdtv dish receiver and 3 or 4 other ones that are only 60 or 70 for the regular tv's. you could save money and split the signal off the receivers and half the number you need.

Their remote is ir and rc and easily switches the receiver upstairs while I am downstairs as my wife has found to her dismay!(Change transmission channels between receivers to avoid this)

Regarding the reason the sanyo was so much brighter than the sony, well... it is brighter and 2 1/2 times the contrast.

[This message has been edited by plannr (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Plannr- Thanks a lot for the response. I haven't seen the Sanyo PLV-60HT or Studio Experience yet but if for the same money as the Sony 10HT I can get higher light output AND improved contrast, then I think you said it best as being a "no-brainer"....The more I think about it the Sony 10HT was the 1st true 16X9 LCD and has been out for a couple of years and I have to believe that Sanyo built upon that unit's excellent foundation due to it's more recent release.

Then again, maybe Sony is light years ahead and everyone else is playing catch-up! AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

I must find a local Detroit Sanyo projector dealer to compare for myself as I have seen the Sony 10HT for the last 2 years and know it well.

Thanks again

------------------

Klipsch

KLF-30's Mains

KLF-C7 Center

KSP-S6 Surrounds (2pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Marantz SR8000 DD/DTS

Toshiba SD-4205 5 Disc DVD

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer