AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would removing the rubber magnet cover on an SI18 help it dissipate heat?

Other than preventing stuff from sticking to the magnet I see no other reason for the rubber cover. So if I could help keep the motor a bit cooler than I'll remove it.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
According to Nick at SI, the rubber cover was added for some protection and an aesthetic improvement over the bare magnet which some customers complained about regarding small chips/imperfections.

I doubt the magnet will ever heat up much during use, but removing the cover certainly would hurt anything. :)

·
Bass Enabler
21,685 Posts

Other than preventing stuff from sticking to the magnet I see no other reason for the rubber cover. So if I could help keep the motor a bit cooler than I'll remove it.
Removing the cover for the magnet will not affect the heating capability whatsoever.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Might not help, couldn't hurt. Rubber covers are purely cosmetic, and once the driver's in the box it doesn't even do that anymore.

·
Registered
11,797 Posts
If you want cooling. Put a whisper fan inside the box that you can control from outside, like a hi-end computer does. Point in at the coil or magnet.

Water cooled subwoofer mod. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts