AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around and could not really find a site that explained some of the terms I see when reading about speakers. Could someone point me to a site or explain what the following terms mean?

Imaging

Soundstage

Dispersion

Dynamics

Accuracy

Reference Levels

Tonality changes

I notice since I upgraded my speakers it now sounds like the center channel is on when it isn't. I'll be in stereo mode and anyone I ask would swear (and even bet money) that the center channel is on whe it isn't. What is that called and is it desireable?

Thanks in advance to anyone that offers some help.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
My 2 cents.

Imaging - Think of painting a picture with sound. Imaging is stuff like hearing the strings to the left, woodwinds to the right and echos from the hall all around you.

Soundstage - The listening area. Speakers are directional. So the sound you get from the speakers will vary depending on where you sit relative to the speakers.

Dispersion - How well spread the soundstage is. Ie. Is there a drastic difference if you sit 2' to the right or does it sound pretty much the same.

Dynamics - How well it responds to rapid changes.

Accuracy - How accurately it reproduces a sound.

Reference Levels - The volume you listen to something at affects what you can hear and how it interacts with the room. So a Reference Level is essentially a "known" volume level that you can use to compare things.

If you say get a new amp and listen to music on it much louder than you did with the old amp, that is going to influence your perceptions of how things sound.

Tonality changes

I notice since I upgraded my speakers it now sounds like the center channel is on when it isn't. I'll be in stereo mode and anyone I ask would swear (and even bet money) that the center channel is on whe it isn't. What is that called and is it desireable?

Thanks in advance to anyone that offers some help.

-Mike[/quote]

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I'll start with one:

Dynamics- Difference between soft and loud sounds. Poor dynamics sound compressed, lack power and impact. A speaker needs to operate quickly to produce soft or loud sounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts