AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon 1312 reciever with speakers that came with it (sys 1312) and I'm wondering if this would be a good upgrade, the Pinnacle MB8000 from Dell
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A3875328

I can't get big tower speakers and don't want to spend that much, so it's either this or something like the Energy Takes, which are like double the cost and don't seem as good.

This is the speaker set I have now
http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=HomeTheatre&SubId=HomeTheaterSpeakerPackage&ProductId=SYS1312

and the receiver (it should run the pinnacles fine, right?)
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?pcatid=avsolutions%28denonna%29&catid=avreceivers%28denonna%29&pid=avr1312%28denonna%29

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to buy them soon because the deal ends in a couple hours, hope I don't find that people say they're not worth it after

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Not a good deal. If I was you I would of bought HTD Level 2 bookshelves with a Level 2 center, and use your current speakers for surround back.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Your in Canada. Yeah, I don't know what to suggest since shipping would be pretty expensive. Specification wise they are pretty similar with the only big difference of the Denon being 6 ohms and the Pinnacle being 8 ohms. The subwoofer is a little more powerful. For a small room this would be a decent set up, but to larger rooms they probably won't be able to fill the room.

In my opinion even the Pioneer BS22 bookshelves speakers and C22 center channel would be a better option. I've seen the bookshelves go on sale for $77 a pair, and the center for $69.99.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But then I'd need a better subwoofer too, and at that point the price would go up. I don't know about the specs, but my problem with current speakers is that there's sibilance in the voices that annoys me, but perhaps that's the receiver? I did try 1 Energy Take Classic speaker as a center channel to see if the dialogue would be improved and it didn't help so I returned it.

So maybe it's my receiver making the sound too bright and harsh "S" sounding and not the speakers, I have no idea. I'm not concerned with it being too loud, I like low volumes better plus can't annoy neighbours.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Hopefully, the Pinnacle speakers will sound better. All you can do is try it out. If you want to increase your center channel volume, I would suggest to increase the dB's for the center channel in the AVR settings if possible.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
The Pinnacle speakers are definitely better than the Denon speakers and the 1312 will work fine with them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also the Pinnacle is 2-way while the Denon is 1-way construction. I don't know the significance of that but it's probably better?

Well I ordered them anyway... Dell says they have free return shipping so we shall see... if I have to test that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts