AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
9,938 Posts
What exactly is it? Receiver and speakers?

It would depend on what they were and what price was asked, but if it's a decent receiver and speakers, and they were in good condition, it might actually be better than the HTIB.

Can't say for sure without knowing what they are.

· Registered
9,938 Posts
How much is the price difference? Does the Polk set include the sub?

If the sub is included and the price is close, I'd lean towards the Onkyo+Polk, but it's not going to be a drastic difference.

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the Polk system is on amazon for $224, but it can be had for 200 i believe.

and yeah it comes with the sub.

from what i understand the 606 is the same as the 667 in the 6100, just the 667 is slightly modified.

so im thinking for the 606 it would be $350, and for the polks it would be roughly $200.

having the total to be pretty much the lowest cost i could find on the 6100.

which would be better?

even without having as many speakers would it matter?

i do have a ps3, so i'd lose 7.1 on the discs that support it.

hmm...

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is a link for the polk system.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Cha...0682981&sr=8-1

and here is one for the 606:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR606...0683024&sr=1-1 (I know the 606 can be found for 350)

and here is one for the 6100:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...&go.x=0&go.y=0

which is better?

if the onkyo is just as good, or even a close runner up to the polks speaker wise, wouldnt it be more beneficial to just get the HTIB and have the benefit of the two additional speakers so i could use 7.1?

also, does anyone have any knowledge about the distances that speakers should be placed apart from each other so i dont get funky sounds?

i have a relatively small room, 11x10 roughly.

· Registered
9,938 Posts
There aren't very many 7.1 discs out yet.

7.1 vs 5.1 has been debated quite a bit. General consensus is that 7.1 is better for surround imaging, but it's not critical. It also depends on if your room layout can fit 7.1; mainly, is there enough room (5-6 feet) behind your normal seated position for the rears. If it can't, then it's kind of moot.

Look here for an idea of how to position 7.1 vs 5.1:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...omlayout2.html

Polk makes better speakers than Onkyo, but that package is far from Polk's best. Soundwise, I'd say the Polk setup would be better, but it would be subtle. If you're looking for a night and day difference, it won't be found between these two setups.

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i completely understand that they wouldnt be something thats going to completely outperform the Onkyo's.

What i am curious about is how much better you think the Polks would be?

and, do the polk's have a distinct sound to them?

hah, im coming from a durabrand system that was 50 dollars when i bought it, and i've had for 4 or 5 years, so this is deffinately going to be an upgrade no matter what.

thanks for all of the help though, either way i know ill be happy.

· Registered
9,938 Posts
I think it would be hard to quantify how much better. I've heard both in a store (well, Onkyo speakers, not the 6100 specifically), but both could sound completely different in your room, simply because of the quirks of acoustics.

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
true.

thanks Tulpa, for the Dolby link, that helped a lot in understanding the setup for the different speakers.

i think im going to go with the Onkyo HTIB, just because i get the benefit of the two extra speakers, and i get it all at once.

i know it may be dumb reasoning, but i just think its right.

thanks again.

and i have one more question, do you guys have any recommendations on speaker wire?

i have some chosen on monoprice, but its the wire with the clear coating on it, and i read somewhere that those can change color and corrode the copper or something of the sort?

i chose 14awg for ease of mind, if anyone has any recommendations i'd surely appreciate them.

thanks again!

· Registered
41 Posts
Where are the s6100 at anyways. I can't find it on amazon, pricegrabber, and newegg is sold out. I can find the s7100 though. And why can't the s5100 play sound through hdmi. Whats the point in having hdmi if it cant work or use it properly.

· Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilxskull /forum/post/15418888

And why can't the s5100 play sound through hdmi. Whats the point in having hdmi if it cant work or use it properly.

Video switching over HDMI.

The reason the 5100 doesn't add the audio is that the audio pricing would raise the cost to a 6100. The 5100 fills a lower price point, but compromises must be made.

· Registered
49 Posts

Quote:

.... And why can't the s5100 play sound through hdmi. Whats the point in having hdmi if it cant work or use it properly.

I don't think it is a matter of not being able to play sound through the HDMI. I believe it is a matter of being not being able to process Linear PCM. From what I understand, if you want to hear the best sound from a Blu-ray Disc, your Receiver needs to be able to process LPCM if your BD player outputs it over the HDMI that way. If your receiver can't do that, you need to step down to a Digital Coax or Digital Optical cable which can't handle the bandwidth to give you the entire Audio track.

In a previous thread Reaper stated that he will be using a PS3 with the home theater set-up he is looking to buy. Since the PS3 will process the audio from a BD, the receiver needs to be able to process the info.

That might not be a perfect description, but I think it gets the message across in a clear manner.

-Ken

BTW: In no way am I an audiophile or a guy who knows a lot about audio equipment. I am just a guy who has visited here from time to time to try and learn what I can from this vast pool of talent that frequents this website.

· Registered
9,938 Posts
The 5100 doesn't do ANY audio over HDMI, though. Doesn't matter what the BD player puts out over HDMI.

Digital audio (over optical or coax) for legacy DD and DTS or analog multichannel for TrueHD/DTS-MA are your options with the 5100.

The 6100 does audio over HDMI (as do the higher numbered systems.) It can also decode TrueHD/DTS-MA, so your player can bitstream those without processing. Or it can do the processing and send it as LPCM (with the PS3, that's the only option.) Either way is fine for the hi-rez stuff.

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:

Where are the s6100 at anyways. I can't find it on amazon, pricegrabber, and newegg is sold out. I can find the s7100 though. And why can't the s5100 play sound through hdmi. Whats the point in having hdmi if it cant work or use it properly.

it's not that it isnt used properly, its that the receiver that is packaged with the S5100 is video passthrough only, meaning that it doesn't recognize the audio signal being transferred through the HDMI cable.

i cant remember who said it, but i believe that whoever said this, said it the best.

the S5100 model is a lower end model aimed at a specific price range, and some options have to be stripped off of the model to allow for Onkyo to meet that area. it's simple to understand really.

do yourself a favor, and if you're looking into a HTIB system, give up the extra money and spring for the S6100.

it will save you a ton of time, and when the system can be had for around $550, there isn't a system in that range that can even compete.

trust me, i've spent the last 3 or 4 days dedicated to finding the perfect system for my budget.

i started out with a two hundred dollar budget, now im all the way up to spending $550, but it's worth it because in my honest opinion, there is nothing around the 550 and even higher mark (HTIB) that can compete with this, until you hit the 9100THX (counting out the 7100 since it's essentially a 6100 with sirius, and speaker stands)

P.S. www.us-appliance.com has the 6100 for $538 shipped i believe?

great deal. check the site out.

· Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMx Reaper xMx /forum/post/15420562

it's not that it isnt used properly, its that the receiver that is packaged with the S5100 is video passthrough only, meaning that it doesn't recognize the audio signal being transferred through the HDMI cable.

i cant remember who said it, but i believe that whoever said this, said it the best.

the S5100 model is a lower end model aimed at a specific price range, and some options have to be stripped off of the model to allow for Onkyo to meet that area. it's simple to understand really.

do yourself a favor, and if you're looking into a HTIB system, give up the extra money and spring for the S6100.

it will save you a ton of time, and when the system can be had for around $550, there isn't a system in that range that can even compete.

trust me, i've spent the last 3 or 4 days dedicated to finding the perfect system for my budget.

i started out with a two hundred dollar budget, now im all the way up to spending $550, but it's worth it because in my honest opinion, there is nothing around the 550 and even higher mark (HTIB) that can compete with this, until you hit the 9100THX (counting out the 7100 since it's essentially a 6100 with sirius, and speaker stands)

P.S. www.us-appliance.com has the 6100 for $538 shipped i believe?

great deal. check the site out.

I agree... I'm in the market and been checking out systems. I was going to get a refurb 606 (which goes for around $270-300) and use my old speakers, but since my speakers are cheap and about 10+ years old, I decided to try and stretch my budget and get new speakers too. The S6100 seems like the way to go. It's a bit more powerful than the 606 and should last me awhile until I can get a little more $$$ to invest in better speakers.

FYI, us-appliance has the 6100 new, in-stock for 568 shipped (529+39 shipping), which sounds like a great deal. Most places I've checked don't have it in-stock but listed $700 new and $500 refurb...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.