AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
more specifically would it allow me to output either decoded DTS-HD MA/TruHD as PCM or bitstream it to my receiver

id imagine the graphics card has a DVI output or two, but probably not an actual HDMI, although i could just get an adapter

these are the specs

# Intel® Core i7 Quad Processor 920

# 6GB Tri Channel DDR3-1067 SDRAM

# 750GB Hard Drive

# DVDRW Drive

# 19-in-1 Media Card Reader

# ATI® Radeon HD 4850

# 10/100/1000 Network

# Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

heres the link

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0303045

·
Registered
112 Posts
total overkill for a HTPC, but yes, that would be a good computer for just about everything, minus perhaps high-end gaming.

There are now 4850x2 graphics cards, however, which offer good gaming performance at a reasonable ($300) price.

·
Registered
535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 /forum/post/15495303

more specifically would it allow me to output either decoded DTS-HD MA/TruHD as PCM or bitstream it to my receiver

id imagine the graphics card has a DVI output or two, but probably not an actual HDMI, although i could just get an adapter

these are the specs

# Intel® Core i7 Quad Processor 920

# 6GB Tri Channel DDR3-1067 SDRAM

# 750GB Hard Drive

# DVDRW Drive

# 19-in-1 Media Card Reader

# ATI® Radeon HD 4850

# 10/100/1000 Network

# Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

heres the link

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0303045

Let's just say you can run Crysis on Very High settings with perhaps 1X anti-aliasing and with decent frame rates. COD4 all on the highest settings with flying colors.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i understand its overkill, but my main question is even with dvi out will this graphics card when i install a blu ray drive) give me lossless audio either bitstreamed or decoded to PCM

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone? im specifically interested in how this graphics card and pc will handle audio. from what i understand is that it will decode the lossless soundtracks into lpcm and output over HDMI (or a DVI to hdmi adapter)

is this the case?

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
anyone? im specifically interested in how this graphics card and pc will handle audio. from what i understand is that it will decode the lossless soundtracks into lpcm and output over HDMI (or a DVI to hdmi adapter)

Yes it does.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Video Card ATI Radeon HD4850

Video Card Memory 512MB Video Memory

Sound Card High Definition Audio Chipset

Sound Output Mode 7.1 Channel Surround Sound

this is what it says. they way i read it is that i can throw a blu ray drive in this badboy and itll output up to 7.1 lossless audio as PCM through the ati card

i think the only thing else id need to buy would be the hauppage hd pvr and the blu ray drive and id be set

·
Registered
864 Posts
unless you are gaming or doing heavy encoding I wouldn't buy it, that processor is a beast and so is the machine but what's the point if in 12 months it will be half price

for 1000 dollars you can get a very nice system that will already include a blu-ray drive , tv card and will do all the things you want

core i7 is very sexy though

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
because i will be using it for gaming and everything else i need. basically im converting my computer nook into a reading area, im minimizing the corner desk putting a smaller desk and mounting a 32 inch samsung a550 on the wall. that will be my primary monitor and the area will be for computing or just relaxing reading/watching a movie whatever

this is a great deal considering it cant be built for that cost, my only hesitancy is buying a dell and being limited by their OEM parts

also show me where i can get a pc that can record encrypted QAM in 5.1, have a blu ray drive and equivalent specs for less?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts