AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about a few people applying TS+ (or equiv.) to the bottom of their soffits. However, I'm afraid I may have a special case in that in order to enclose a beam, my soffits are fairly wide. Dimensions are as follows:

Room: 15'W x 23' D x 8.3' H

Soffits (each): 31" W x 12" H

My question to you 'RT60' gurus: Would applying TS+ to the bottom of these soffits make my room too dead? I'm already covering the entire front and appx. 48" up each sidewall and the rear wall. I don't want to kill my surround field, though.

Secondly, if it's not over-kill, how is TS+ applied to the bottom of a soffit? Spray adhesive, I presume?

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
Use staples. Run the TS out about 18" of the 31". For the remaining 13" use 16 oz polyester batting to bring the fabric out even with the TS. The TS under soffits has other positive effects than just on RT60.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As always, thanks a million Dennis. I know you get paid for advise like this and I think I speak for us all when I thank you yet again for free advise.

Out of curiosity, though, I do have a couple of questions if you have time/will to answer them:

1 How do you come up with the 18" out number?

2 Would the transition from TS+ to batting be obvious without a firring strip and piece of trim in between them?

3 I'm assuming no TS+ or batting is needed on the vertical face of the soffit, correct?

4 What exactly are the other benefits besides RT60 of applying TS+ to the bottom of the soffit?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.