AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting around the past month trying to decide on what TV I wanted to buy, after flip-flopping between Plasma and LCD, I have settled on a Plasma Flat Panel. The other research I did seemed to point to Panasonic and Samsung being two of the best makers of the products, and I went to Best Buy tonight and was able to (with my friends help) get a rather great deal on this TV.... it's the TH-46PZ80U model.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ustomerreviews

46 inches is the perfect size for the room I am in, I can get this for $1090 brand new when MSRP is $1699.99 - my other option is the 720p 50 inch Plasma, but comparing them side by side in the store this model seemed to have the far superior picture, and 50 is bordering on too big for my room anyways. I'm set to go pick it up at 10 am tomorrow, the $1100 it costs is about as high as my budget could go, I could push $1250 but that's about it... so I figured I would turn to the experts, all the reviews I have found on this have been positive.

I mainly use my TV's for gaming (360 or PS3) or general tv, though I plan on getting a blu-ray player soon. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The other one aside from the 720p 50 inch I had been looking at was the Samsung PN42A400. It was only $800 for a 42 inch, the picture looked amazing, was 720p, and it would have given me enough room to get a little 2.1 audio system with it - but the friend I had with me figured I should get the model I listed above and just get a audio system in 2 weeks. Thought I would throw it out there though - as others might have experience with all the units.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
.. you mentioned in other thread moving to apartment w/ up to 15ft viewing distance; you would be much happier in long run w/ the 50PX80U (720p). IMHO!!

edit: buying from Crutchfield is the equivalent of buying fm B&M except for shipping time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/15428345

.. you mentioned in other thread moving to apartment w/ up to 15ft viewing distance; you would be much happier in long run w/ the 50PX80U (720p). IMHO!!

edit: buying from Crutchfield is the equivalent of buying fm B&M except for shipping time.

I swear being in the store and having that 50 sitting there for $999 was really tempting, I was thinking maybe the picture looked fairly bad due to the fact I was under such bright lights, but it just looked so much more washed out....

Argh this is a really tough choice. So you still say that the 50PX80U would be a better overall choice you think than this one? Right now I really only sit 6-8 feet from the TV and the guy in Ultimate Electronics + Best Buy tried to tell me that was too close for that big of tv and I would get headaches in like 2 hours, which seemed like a load of bull****. The other odd thing was the sales rep was bashing that tv, saying that they had been trying to unload them since thanksgiving and weren't able too.... but you may be right, I already "paid" for the one in my first post, but I could always exchange it tomorrow when I go to pick it up (I wasn't in a truck so I couldn't bring it home with me tonight.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/15428400

.. check Sears plus 10% off with Sears card.

edit: BB salesman good job sailing it.

I'm also suspecting they **** with the settings on tv's, so the ones they want to sell they turn the brightness and contrast way up, and the tv's they aren't pushing get turned down. Because that 720p shouldn't have looked as washed out as it did if the reviews on it are accurate.

Well I have 12 hours to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/15428400

.. check Sears plus 10% off with Sears card.

edit: BB salesman good job sailing it.

correction: no 10% cause much less than 999; ** maybe add-in another item to reach 999 10% benchmark.

edit: Insignia, believe its a BB specific brand; no way hose'.

**> btw: 46" Panasonic's are discontinued model.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/15428429

correction: no 10% cause much less than 999; ** maybe add-in another item to reach 999 10% benchmark.

edit: Insignia, believe its a BB specific brand; no way hose'.

**> btw: 46" Panasonic's are discontinued model.

WOW nice catch... damn... $899.99 is pretty amazing for a 50 inch Plasma, Best Buy does price match too, (I kind of maxed out my card with the tv, so rather than wait the 48 hours for the "authorization" on my account to drop off I could just return mine and get it for the $899.99)

That makes it alot tougher though... $200 cheaper for a 4 inch bigger screen. I just hate not having owned a 1080p and neither do my friends so I can't myself just LOOK and see that there's really no difference. You are most likely right though, I'm sure you know ALOT more about TV's than I do. How is the screen on that 50 inch? Is it as vibrant/rich as a standard plasma?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurred_Reality /forum/post/15428426

Oh you shoulda heard how hard he was trying to tell me to buy an Insignia brand... said they were as good as Sonys and manufacturered in the same place.

Not true..they use LG glass and are screwed together by a Taiwanese company that I can't recall the name of at the moment. That alone doesn't mean it won't be a good set however...my Bro-in-law bought a 32" Insignia plasma and I was surprised by the percieved quality and also the PQ.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just compared these 2 models on the website and the only difference at all between the 2 is the 46 incher has a 20:000:1 contrast ratio while the 50 inch has a 15:000:1 - and the 50 incher has a max resolution of 1024 x 768 (of course.).

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurred_Reality /forum/post/15428550

Just compared these 2 models on the website and the only difference at all between the 2 is the 46 incher has a 20:000:1 contrast ratio while the 50 inch has a 15:000:1 - and the 50 incher has a max resolution of 1024 x 768 (of course.).

.. that's not entirely correct (1366 x 768): check Panasonic site

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

note: i'm not trying to push the 50"er on you; of course, its your decision .. but if your are planning a move to larger accommodations, the 50" is the best of the two.

have BB price-match & they'll adjust your CC difference, if any.

also, contrast ratios mean 'nothing'; manufacturering sales estimate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.