AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question on the Roku thread in another forum, but I figure the plasma crowd would know better. The Roku has an ArtPack with an aquarium scene that came from a screensaver. The static image can be seen here and here , but the real thing has the fish moving around. I've been looking for a display to use for some viewing and for displaying different images, but I would like to be able to leave the aquarium on there for reasonable periods of time. If it weren't for burnin issues I would probably buy a plasma instead of one of the Sony Wega III or DLP sets.

So, I'm wondering if this aquarium scene would be likely to cause burnin. It seems like there is enough static stuff in the image that it would, but on the other hand similar images have been used for screensavers. If I had learned about the Daewoo plasma special last Sunday for $1999 in time I probably would have bought one of those and not worried about the burnin too much.

I already have a 10' wide screen with a projector for the Superbowl tomorrow, but if I was going to buy a plasma it would be nice to put the game on it too. I'm actually thinking about picking up one of the extra bright Gateway plasmas since I think the extra brightness would be nice for this scene and sports and since they had them in stock last night and I could get it setup by tomorrow, but at $3k I wouldn't want to burn it in or avoid using the aquarium scene for a few hours at a time.

It also seems like there isn't much of a market for used plasmas or I could buy something second hand and not worry as much about adding too much burnin because of the lower cost, assuming it didn't already have some and the phosphors had aged.

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

Maybe this question isn't as cut and dried as I thought it might be. Just to be clear I should probably mention that this isn't a screensaver, the idea for them to create this just came from one and that I probably should have used quotes around screensaver in the title or something.

How about a followup question. If I put up a white image for a couple hundred hours after getting a new plasma to age the phosphors evenly a little bit would that make it less likely that some of these other things would cause burnin?

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
So I think that fish thing is a bad bet. Too much of the image looks static.

Yes, if you "age" the stuff, it would help, because the first few hundred hours will see the phosphor brightness decline very disproportionately to the next tens of thousands.

But still, that aquarium is trouble.

Mark

·
Registered
502 Posts
The white coral has the potential to burn in unless they have programmed the fish to pass by all static images. The only way to determine this is to contact Roku.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Even if the fish passed by, I believe that burn-in is a function of total time that each sub-pixel spends on. So having the fish pass by briefly would help, but not as much as you'd want.

A better bet Darin would be to have a large number of images that you scroll through. Assuming that they are full-screen, with enough of them I'm sure the content would be sufficiently random that you wouldn't have to worry about burn-in. Or if you just want a normal screensaver then use a true screensaver that's designed to use each pixel randomly.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I use the aquarium screen saver, and as long as you have the light shift from on to off, you should be just fine....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.