AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

i needed a basic htpc to playback ISO files from a Firewire 800 connected drobo.

i was thinking a basic studio desktop w/ 4gb of ram, and vista ultimate sp1. i am going to be using movie collector w/ the MCE plugin for actual playback and organization.

I will have this PC connected via HDMI to my reciever.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/deskt...ni&s=dhs&cs=19

any suggestions for improvements? i think this should work pretty well.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider1v1 /forum/post/16971319

hey guys

i needed a basic htpc to playback ISO files from a Firewire 800 connected drobo.

i was thinking a basic studio desktop w/ 4gb of ram, and vista ultimate sp1. i am going to be using movie collector w/ the MCE plugin for actual playback and organization.

I will have this PC connected via HDMI to my reciever.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/deskt...ni&s=dhs&cs=19

any suggestions for improvements? i think this should work pretty well.

Why not build your own. Get more bang for the buck. What version were you looking at seems like the one you were thinking would be atleast $500 I think you could do better if you built yourself.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you were thinking of going with the onboard GPU you might want to look at this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1169517

An upgrade to a 4670 is available, but it is +$150 and you could always add it if the onboard GPU doesn't cut it for you.

Not everyone is into system building but at $150 for a $50 video card, $75 for $30 worth of memory and $130 for Home>Ultimate, you might do better building your own.

BB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry for the confusion. I am going to try the PC out the way it is and then upgrade via parts from newegg shoud it need some help

concerning the ram, thats nothing that 45.00 and free shipping cant fix.

concerning the video card, i would take the one from my gaming rig, an ati 4870 1GB and put that into the Dell, then buy a new one for gaming.

i have looked into building my own and its acutally more money and its not pre-assembeld and doesnt come with a windows 7 upgrade for free. IMHO if you are looking for a cheap PC, a cheap dell cant be beat. i just wanted to make sure that i wasnt making a huge mistake.

oh, and i have confirmed there is enough expansion slots for an asus xonar sound card and for the video card i would put in for future blu-ray playback.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Lots of guys over at the BTV forum would agree with you. There is a clearance site where they often appear for even less $.

The heat load and noise from a 4870 might be a bit much for an HTPC application and/or the PSU.

BB

·
Registered
332 Posts
just a warning, most of the large pc companies will use proprietary cases and power supplies which make upgrading them with 3rd party hardware difficult. everything else should be standard stuff.

the case may not be ATX form factor meaning you will have to figure out how to mount a board from newegg yourself. power supply/mobo may have different pin arrangement making it difficult to plug a new one in.

nothing wrong with buying a prebuilt and if you can find them cheap, thats great. more times then not, if you build your own it will be cheaper. assembling a pc is pretty easy. each item can only go together one way. only troublesome part comes if 1 item is defective and then you get the joy of troubleshooting everything. after 6+ mobos, 4 cpus, 10 hdd, 5 vid cards, various cd drives i've only had 1 RMA (all bought from newegg).

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I have been custom building for over 10 years. The only OEMs that I buy anymore are laptops.

Even my daughters laptop I sorta built. I took a broken DV4000 off ebay and remanfactured it myself (paint, electronics, cpu, ram etc).

There are number of HPs that seem to lend themselves to HTPC use. Unless it has changed since 2006, HP also gives you a "full" version of Vista and XP unlike Dell. You can't (unless you ahve the same chipset) upgrade the motherboard over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.