AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HDTVs native resolution is 1280x720 and it is capable of 1:1 aspect ratio but only from DVI connections.

It has a DVI-D connection. Does anyone make a VGA to DVI-D converter? I figure if I get the VGA cable for the 360 convert it to DVI-D, then run it at 1280x720 and 1:1 I should get a pixel perfect image.

Hopefully that converter exists! Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
VGA is analog so Im not sure you could get the real 1x1 digital mapping you are looking for.

The type of converter you are looking for is called PS3. Easy, easy, I just bought a 360 today...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was concerned about (analog signal). Anyone know if it'll work?

I'll be picking up the PS3 as well :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
do a search for HDMI on this forum, you'll find that MS will one day release a HDMI cable. you could wait for that and just get a HDMI --> DVI-D adapter

·
Registered
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by |3iggs
do a search for HDMI on this forum, you'll find that MS will one day release a HDMI cable. you could wait for that and just get a HDMI --> DVI-D adapter
When? is it soon? I want it now!! :-D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by |3iggs
Would this work for now though?

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah, i believe it would work. i found a nice transcoder for a mere $704.:

http://sewelldirect.com/vgadviadapterscaler.asp

i guess you could find a less expensive transcoder somewhere but who knows what kind of quality you're gonna get out of it, probably not worth the risk considering that one day we can expect a truly digital output from MS.

(honestly, right now i think the best idea would be to do some research on the 360 video output pins to see if its possible to build your own DVI-D cable)

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I thought about buying a transcoder myself. But I've heard you have to pay big bucks to get one that will do a decent job. It wound up not being an option.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a little VGA to DVI-D adapter but i'm assuming it doesn't work because DVI-D is digital and VGA is analog, hence the expensive transcoders :eek:

I believe this little adapter I have is for DVI to VGA for use with VGA computer monitors and video cards that only had DVI out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.