AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering with PC makers making some HDM readers available is it worthwhile to watch a HDM movie on a 19" screen or would it be the same "perceptible" quality as watching a regular DVD. If there's no real difference, then why get one?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef /forum/post/12847953

I'm just wondering with PC makers making some HDM readers available is it worthwhile to watch a HDM movie on a 19" screen or would it be the same "perceptible" quality as watching a regular DVD. If there's no real difference, then why get one?

The closer you sit the more you will notice, but yes it will make a difference indeed

·
Registered
643 Posts
I can see a definite difference on my 19 inch monitor. You could experiment by downloading a few (legal) Divx HD trailers from the Stage6 site.

Brian

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
All this talk about HDM not being distinguishable from DVD on small HD screens is foolishness. It is easily distinguishable as long as your viewing distance is approriate for the screen size. I own a laptop with a BR drive in it and it is easily superior to DVD - but my face is typically 3 feet from the screen. If I watched movies on my laptop form 10 feet away of course there would be no difference.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I believe the 1.5X the screen width still applies.

So if you're screen is 19", then you should be 28.5" away, or a little over 2 feet. Pretty typical in a desk like environment.

I also have a laptop with a HD drive (HD DVD), and I notice the detail.

·
Registered
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore /forum/post/12848062

All this talk about HDM not being distinguishable from DVD on small HD screens is foolishness. It is easily distinguishable as long as your viewing distance is approriate for the screen size. ...

Exactly, it's the combination of source resolution, display resolution, and viewing distance. There is another opposite, but eqaully foolish belief popping up from time to time, that larger screens (such as a FP with a 120" screen) allow one to see more details.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley5 /forum/post/12848459

Exactly, it's the combination of source resolution, display resolution, and viewing distance. There is another opposite, but eqaully foolish belief popping up from time to time, that larger screens (such as a FP with a 120" screen) allow one to see more details.

When I switched from a 720p FP to a 1080p FP (on a 114" screen), my wife could not tell the difference. I couldn't either unless I froze the frame and stood 3 feet away.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yep, I've occasionally watched DVD on the 17" laptop and wished the video could have been at a higher resolution. HD media would look awesome on a computer PC in typical desktop (or airline seat) environment.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You may be able to notice the difference on smaller screens, but is the PQ difference worth the extra money for the HD disc? Can anybody even tell the difference in AQ from a laptop or home PC?

I can see the difference between HD and SD on my 50 in. PDP, but I'm still very happy w/ my standard DVD's in my collection. The only reason I want to switch to HDM is the ability of the discs to hold uncompressed audio. IOW's for me it's the AQ that's the attraction. Though if I had a 65 incher (or bigger), NOW we're talkin' uber-cool

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcruz /forum/post/12848904

You may be able to notice the difference on smaller screens, but is the PQ difference worth the extra money for the HD disc? Can anybody even tell the difference in AQ from a laptop or home PC?

I can see the difference between HD and SD on my 50 in. PDP, but I'm still very happy w/ my standard DVD's in my collection. The only reason I want to switch to HDM is the ability of the discs to hold uncompressed audio. IOW's for me it's the AQ that's the attraction. Though if I had a 65 incher (or bigger), NOW we're talkin' uber-cool

With a home pc you could have 5.1 or even 7.1 analog output (for lossless to a receiver), plus I think HDMI video + audio cards are coming soon or may already be out.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you are at a normal distance (i.e. the same distance you would surf the web at), the I think a difference would be noticable.

The better compression from HDM can be noticed much farther away than the increase in resolution can be noticed.

Those 1920x1200 PC monitors would be pretty awesome for movie watching in cramped spaces. I used only my PC to watch DVD's while I was in college for four years.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog /forum/post/12848599

When I switched from a 720p FP to a 1080p FP (on a 114" screen), my wife could not tell the difference. I couldn't either unless I froze the frame and stood 3 feet away.

What projector did you have (720p) and what projector did you get (1080p)?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts