AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went over to Bestbuy and was ready to purchase the Toshiba 42HP83, after checking the Sales Associate came back and told me that there were no more of these in stock (She stated that they would not be getting any more of these in) and offered and discount on the floor model.

I was a little reluctant to purchase the floor because of the stories that I have read about plasma’s having a limited life of 30,000 hours and I figure this set is being played everyday all day in the store.

Should I be concerned??

Would anyone here buy a plasma floor model??

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I wouldn't. The TV may have had the contrast turned up at 100% the whole time, there may be burn in. The TV may have a warranty (won't cover image burn) but unless they just unboxed it (and can prove it) I would consider it a "used" TV.

Having said that (and there is no image burn) maybe they will make a heck of a deal.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would first try to find out how many hours on the display.

Problem is nobody knows (anyone ???) how to do that yet.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I would certainly consider such a purchase, but subject to the following considerations:

(1) Price at least 15-25% less than you can buy it for at the cheapest online vendor (IMO, % off from Best Buy's "regular" price really doesn't mean that much);

(2) Full manufacturer's warranty and all original warranty documentation and other papers;

(3) Some plasmas have a counter which can be accessed to show how long they've been turned on; if not, find out when the unit was put on the floor and figure it was on whenever the store was open. IMO, up to 2,000 or 3,000 hours would probably be OK, provided you check carefully - with an all-white, then an all-black screen - for any evidence of burn-in.

(4) Try to get them to give you a 30-day, no-questions-asked money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied for any reason.

I understand retailers buy these sets for about 40% off MSRP, so they can offer a hefty discount and still break even. If everything checks out OK, you might try a low-ball offer considerably below whatever they ask. They may well accept if they really want to get rid of the set.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steuert
I would certainly consider such a purchase, but subject to the following considerations:

(1) Price at least 15-25% less than you can buy it for at the cheapest online vendor (IMO, % off from Best Buy's "regular" price really doesn't mean that much);

(2) Full manufacturer's warranty and all original warranty documentation and other papers;

(3) Some plasmas have a counter which can be accessed to show how long they've been turned on; if not, find out when the unit was put on the floor and figure it was on whenever the store was open. IMO, up to 2,000 or 3,000 hours would probably be OK, provided you check carefully - with an all-white, then an all-black screen - for any evidence of burn-in.

(4) Try to get them to give you a 30-day, no-questions-asked money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied for any reason.

I understand retailers buy these sets for about 40% off MSRP, so they can offer a hefty discount and still break even. If everything checks out OK, you might try a low-ball offer considerably below whatever they ask. They may well accept if they really want to get rid of the set.
Pardon my ignorance, may I know is there a quick and easy way to have an "all-white, then all-black screen"? THanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did a tweeter

a 46" ( a gateway knock off) for 2400, with 15 months interest free,

and free side mount speakers.

Its not the best but it had a built in tuner

Its for a game/pool room anyway, not the primary viewing HDTV

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
"Pardon my ignorance, may I know is there a quick and easy way to have an "all-white, then all-black screen"? Thanks."

With my Panasonic, you can get an all-black screen by switching to an unused input; the screen then is black with a "No signal" message displayed.

I used a computer input to get an all-white screen. Not sure how you would do this otherwise - salesman might know how to do it on the particular display in which you're interested. An alternative might be to look for bright, uniform scenes - such as stretches of sky - during a regular TV broadcast. Better yet - play a DVD until a bright scene is shown and pause the image.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Only if it is in cosmetically good condition, you do not see any signs of image burn in and you have the right to return it within a reasonable number of days.

Price - I'd only bite if it is below internet pricing on a brand-new one of the same size and features and quality level.

Once you get it home, a calibration DVD like Avia or DVE should have the patterns you need to properly evaluate it, if you cannot do so in the store. Store lighting conditions tend to be very harsh, so you may not see a defect until you get it home and view it under softer lighting in the evening.

Look at the screen carefully with the set off. Examine for burn in patterns around the edges of where 4x3, letterbox movies and channel logo bugs go. Then do the same with a soft grey scale display, then red, green, blue. Turn the contrast down when you start, so you don't accidently burn it while examining the screen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by adb
Just not worth the gamble IMO. To many unknowns even for a good price.
Thanks for the input, I decided to go ahead and by the TV new from J&R, I got a really good price (much cheaper then the BestBuy store), the TV should arrive tomorrow afternoon (I can hardly wait)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.