AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a newer tv and don't have as much money to spend as I had hoped!

I was considering buying an HD ready set that would be able to take advantage of HD when it becomes more common in all areas, but anything that I would want (34XBR910 or 40XBR800) is way out of my price range.

That being said, would you consider buying a non-HD tv at this point in the game?

I found a used 36XBR250 locally for $350 which seems to be a great deal! Plus I figure I can sell it in a year or two when HD becomes more widespread for the same price that I bought it for.

It will go on top of my corner fireplace which is 7 feet long and 4 feet high. (Does anyone know of an easy method to get a 200+ pound tv up there without killing a back or scraping the fireplace?)

Thanks for any opinions on buying a non HD set to hold over for a year or two.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Rent an A/C lift. Why not buy the set? It'll look great for a while and save up for the plasma or whatever. It should have a component input. If you sit far enough away from it you will not miss the HD. You can still get HD though down rezd I'm sure. For that amount of cash I would jump on it.

MRW

·
6,091 Posts
I agree with Mike.

If what you watch on TV now is what you'll be watching on the next one, then I wouldn't believe anyone who said to run right out and get an HDTV. I for one watch a LOT of SD like nick at night ,Tv land, news channels and the like and was sorely disappointed with how they look on an HDTV. My aunt has a non-HD set and these shows look killer from the same cable company. Plus DVD looks great on a non-HD set as well.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Stiltz,

Noting your monetary concerns, etc. this might not be a bad deal. The risk is low, and you could save for the larger screen HDTV in the future. What's the condition of the 36XBR?

What does concern me a bit is this placement on the ledge of the fireplace. Remember, this TV weighs around 240+ lbs., and is prone to front tipping due to the thick heavy front glass. This is why I always recommend getting the designed Sony Stand for 36XBR & 40XBR's.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help, guys!

I decided against it as it was tough finding an inexpensive way to move it out of the other person's house into mine. (both up flights of stairs)

The local movers all wanted at least 2 hours upfront no matter how long it took.

I ended up getting an incredible deal on a Toshiba 36HF73 and couldn't be happier as HD looks amazing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.