AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at 30-32 inch LCDs for my bedroom. I've narrowed it down to the Syntax and Sharp LC-32g4u. (I need removable speakers). I have seen good prices on refurb Sharps that brings the price down closer to the Syntax. Should I consider a refurbished unit or steer clear???

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought a refurbished Sharp LCD monitor with TV tuner recently. Looks brand new, works like brand new. I saved over $100 from the brand new one, and I really can't tell the difference, either cosmetic or functional. I have seen some rougher refurbs that looked like display models from a store, so you never know what you'll get. I have bought refurb DVD recorders and they worked flawlessly and looked that way also. The warranty is sometimes less than what the new one has, but if the price is right you could always return it of you're not happy. Just my experience with refurbs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

pj2004 - did you buy your refurb locally or online? I have not seen any locally but I have seen a couple of retailers online.

The price difference is substantial - even for a refurb. Difference is about $800 which is an increase of over 50%. Some of this is the cost of the extra 2" though.

The prices are trending down and I am not in a major rush so I will probably sit tight a few weeks and see what happens.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Syntax has a new 32'' coming out in a month or two that may pique your interest too. That said, I'd buy a refub as well, assuming as the others have mentioned it's returnable and has a warranty.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought mine from Tiger Direct, which is mainly online but in the Chicago area they have a physical store that is attached to the main warehouse so I got it there to save shipping. The only other store I know of locally that sells refurbs is Fry's Electronics but they're only in a few states I believe.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BobDobalina
Syntax has a new 32'' coming out in a month or two that may pique your interest too. That said, I'd buy a refub as well, assuming as the others have mentioned it's returnable and has a warranty.
Unfortunately the 32" Syntax does not have removable speakers and it too wide for my cabinet. I have a 38.5" maximum width and 23" maximum height to deal with which narrows my choices somewhat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i've had bad experiences buying refurb stuff (a refurb tivo and a refurb xbox), so i'm biased, but i wouldn't recommend it if there is a restocking fee or nonrefundable shipping. that's my recommendation about refurb items in general, but if the manufacturer's warranty still applies, then it might be worthwhile. my guess would be that the majority of returned lcds have some noticeable dead pixels, but not enough that the manufacturer judges them defective.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think Philips/TiVo's refurb department is just totally sub-par, as in, they don't bother to test their equipment. My refurb TiVo came with bright green line through the picture that only a color-blind tester could miss. Still, that worked out fine because Tivo replaced the supposed 14 hour unit that I purchased with a 30 hour one, and at the time, that was a big money difference. So for the cost of a little hassle on my part I got a VERY good deal.

With other things like hard drives and computers, I've had great luck with refurbs. It just would have to be a good deal (I'd say at least 30% savings or more) for me to do it. If it was like $200 off a $2000 panel I wouldn't bother.

-- Rob

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I am about to pull the trigger on the Syntax. The cheapest I can find the Sharp (new) from an authorized dealer is twice the current price of the Syntax. I just can't justify the extra expense for a second TV - especially given all the excellent reviews of the Syntax product and customer service.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I just bought a Sony 19" HX series LCD and R series PC refurbs at the local Sony Outlet store, both were about 40% off retail, plus their extended warranties were cheap too. I almost threw in the 34xbr960 and they were having additional 10% off, but I'm waiting for newer production dated models. I've bought plenty of refurb Sony there, never a problem, and lots cheaper than Sony retail. THey had lots of flat panels too but still not in the price range I'm interested in.

I've never seen refurbs at our local Fry's though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.