AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering going back to the Good Guys and buying an extended warranty for my DVD1600. The guy offered me 5 years for $85...considering I paid $375+tx for the unit and it only comes with 1 year I think it might be wise. But then again I have never had a DVD player fail.

What do you think?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I bought one for mine. I have had 2 Panasonic players fail and decided this will be my last dvd player for the next 3-4 years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Most consumer magazines advise never to buy extended warranties because the added cost almost never is used within the span of the warranty. There are always exceptions, but over the long run the averages are with the dealer and not the consumer.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Those warranties are worthless on some of these models especially Panasonic since reports are they just replace them with newer inferior models instead of fixing the good quality old model! For that price, you could just replace it with a cheaper new model yourself since thats all the service center will do anyway. Before 5 years you probably will want to buy a new HD-DVD player anyway. I used to buy extended warranties for TVs, VCRs, laserdisc players, etc. and only once over 10 years did I ever have one unit fail during the warranty period - I would have been way ahead not buying any warranties and paying for the one repair, or just buying a new unit at the time it failed (years later).

·
Registered
46 Posts
The reason I ask is, I always buy my electronics using my Am EX card and part of the benefit is they will double any manufacture's warranty up to one year. So if you paid by credit card, it is likely you may have a 2 year warranty just because you put it on the card. You will need to check with your card company but it seems pretty common now to have this benefit on credit cards. I have actually had to use the Am Ex benefit and all it took was to call them (Am Ex), initiate a claim and I sent it off for repair! So IMO, to pay for an extended warranty is a waste of money. I just replaced my ageing Denon 3000 after 4 years with a new 1600 and the 3000 was starting to have some problems with the laser pick up. It still works but I need to place a small fan behind it to keep it cool and it works fine.

I admit that I likely caused the failure by stacking it on top of my Denon reciever and so if I could give any advice, keep your 1600 off of any heat producing electronics. My 1600 now sits nicely in it's own spot, away from any heat. Good luck! BTW, the 1600 IMO is an absolutely awesome player for the prices they are trying to unload them for!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Having had the opportunity today to look at the Denon 1600, I would think twice before I paid $375 for it. When I looked at the construction, the display, the screws that hold the top on, it all says PANASONIC. They didn't just buy the guts from panny, it looks like panny made it, and I'm having a real problem with Panasonic right now. If you could get an RP82, go for that as it looks to be the exact same player with a different face. I doubt the internal parts are different in any way. I don't doubt though that it produces a great picture, my CP72 used to, far better than anything else I've seen.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zacster
If you could get an RP82, go for that as it looks to be the exact same player with a different face. I doubt the internal parts are different in any way.
The audio components are different.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ProofTech
The audio components are different.

How so?

zacster,

I know $400 w/tax is a wad of cash to spend on a single DVD player and I am almost tempted to go back tot the Good Guys and look over their $200 price range players.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
You'd be sorry if you did that. There is no other player in the $200 price range even close to the picture or audio quality of the DVD-1600. If you did that, you might as well go for an under $100 player, they are about the same quality as those $200 models.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
You'd be sorry if you did that. There is no other player in the $200 price range even close to the picture or audio quality of the DVD-1600. If you did that, you might as well go for an under $100 player, they are about the same quality as those $200 models.

You seem to be about the only person here who adamantly defends the DVD1600.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James W. Johnson
You seem to be about the only person here who adamantly defends the DVD1600.
The DVD1600 has many fans on this board and others.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zacster
Having had the opportunity today to look at the Denon 1600, I would think twice before I paid $375 for it. When I looked at the construction, the display, the screws that hold the top on, it all says PANASONIC. They didn't just buy the guts from panny, it looks like panny made it, and I'm having a real problem with Panasonic right now. If you could get an RP82, go for that as it looks to be the exact same player with a different face. I doubt the internal parts are different in any way. I don't doubt though that it produces a great picture, my CP72 used to, far better than anything else I've seen.
I would rather have a brand new 1600 Rather than buy a used RP82 for same price they are rated pretty much the same.

·
Registered
785 Posts
James, I know the Denon has better DACs. I think the rest of the audio section is better as well, but I could be wrong about that.

BTW, I'm also a big fan of the Denon 1600.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.