AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spend a ridiculous amount of time here over the past month reading & learning about various DVD Recorders and I've come to conclude what most of you already knew - the Panny E80 is the way to go. Many thanks to the regular contributors for their efforts!

So I've been looking around online for a good deal and I ran across an open box E80 from a reputable online retailer. The MSRP of $550 isn't too big of a deal but I just dropped a load of cash on my first HDTV so things are a bit tight right now and I don't feel like waiting a month to get this remarkable machine. I was all set to pull the trigger but then I started wondering if this might not be a good idea. So far as I can tell, this internet retailer doesn't have any B&M stores so I'm not sure why exactly they have an open box item.

So, my question is - does anyone see any potential problems with purchasing such a unit, or perhaps a used one on say EBay or Audiogon?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Make sure you study the retailers return policy carefully. You should be able to get your money back in full if the unit does not function as it should. Also be certain you'll be getting the full manufacturer's warranty with the unit. I wouldn't buy it unless you are getting a substantial price reduction for it being an open box item. Personally I feel more comfortable paying another $50 bucks than accepting merchandise you know at least one person has likely returned. As always, buyer beware.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
What happens in a month? You would just be able to afford it easier then or is there some news that prices are dropping then? Is that when the new ones come out?

I am literally about to explode if I don't decide soon what to buy. Really if I do buy a recorder, my only options are the panasonics, the next toshiba, or the sony. I wouldnt trust another brand really.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Maybe they just couldn't read the owner's manual or didn't like the formats available. Would be nice if they could tell you the reason for return, but I'm sure that's hoping for too much. I'd 2nd that the return policy is most important here and the thing better be way under 500 for you taking the risk.

Walmart is still out but they have the easiest return policy in my opinion.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...62055%3A105664

·
Registered
13 Posts
Personally, this isn't the type of item I'd purchase as an *open box* deal. Maybe if it was at a local retailer with a return option and a $150 or more off the price tag. I'd rather buy new with a warranty. I paid $501 for my E-80 shipped and bought a 4yr extended warranty (usually a waste of money) for $35.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.