AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was a good poll started by WanMan but it lacked a key poll option so I did this one to better reflect everyone's opinions. Below is the text of what WanMan said in his intial post:

Would you consider any offering from Microsoft relating to a satellite-based all-HDTV service based on 11 Mbps WM9 provided the hardware costs were inline with current MPEG-2 receiver-decoders? This would be a Microsoft challenge to place a bird in space and deliver subscription-based HDTV service, say 15-20 HD channels initially, and then spreading to about 10 new channels semi-annually? If the interest were there, at what price?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MS has already proven to be a horrible company to deal with when getting into the TV area as proven by their dealings with Dish and the Dishplayer (leaving Dish hanging with a horribly buggy machine caused by MS's software) then screwing DirecTV with it's UltimateTV receivers!

HD is now starting to reallt take off and impress and the LAST thing I want is some MS based over-compressed HD scheme mucjing up my HD!

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I don't blame MS in the DP fiasco, i believe that was all E*'s doing in not letting MS know how the other half of the system worked. I'm in no way an MS booster, but would welcome the competition. I would consider the service if it offered what I was interested in --at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
344 Posts
There is still no option that I can select.

No local HD channels = NO DEAL

If they can offer HD network feeds, InHD, ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD as well as the HBO and Showtime feeds, then I would look at it.

Not interested in a partial solution.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
As HDTV is still somewhat of an upscale niche market I sometimes wonder if there would be a business model for not bothering with ANY local channels. There is plentiful SD content without them and probably also soon HD. And this would get around all the considerations of must carry regulations, spot beams etc.

I wonder if there is a market for a premium only HDTV service that does not even try to compete locally at all? Just go for quality. At a national level it seems there would be plenty of bandwidth.

- Tom

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Quote:
At a national level it seems there would be plenty of bandwidth.
I asked this in the other thread but haven't received an answer. There may be bandwidth, but my (admittedly small) understanding of the DBS situation is that there are NO more orbital slots for Continental US (CONUS) coverage. So how is this supposed to even get off the ground (literally and figuratively)?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can anyone verify the history of WM9? I was under the impression that it was based on early versions of MPEG-4 (before standardization).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.