AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you consider a high-definition set-top-box from Microsoft if it were based only on MPEG-2, only on WM9, or capable of both decoding codecs? Would you buy it if it were inclusive of an X-Box subsystem? And if your interest were positive, what would it be worth to you (under $500, $500-800, at any price?

EDIT: If your choice cannot be found in any of the first nine options then its something OTHER. So, if you have a maybe or a No then these are obviously something OTHER than the first nine options.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
MicroSlop has already screwed up enough technology and enough of the tech business for lifetimes untold. Quality stinks, support is worse, and standardization is a word UNKNOWN to M$.

M$ should be split up, not encouraged to invade further into our lives with their [email protected]

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. BTW, your comments can and have been applied to many DBS and cable providers, and also quite a few hardware manufacturers. Please keep this in mind when taking such a vehement stance. But, I do appreciate your feedback! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I probably wouldn't consider a MS solution. I love my Xbox but it has had issues. MS updated the xbox website 2 weeks ago and still can't get a simple message forum working. I don't have too much confidence in them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
NO F--KING WAY.

Microsoft will be slow, slow, slow and I don't want them screwing up another industry. Just look at the performance of WebTV....

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
I'd buy one in a New York minute if it supported both WM9 and MPEG2, and if my cable company delivered both types of content.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Michael, you did put your reply in a passionate-enough (ahem, violent) intonation like the other did. hehe

·
Registered
XR-83A90J | Sonos Arc, Sub, One SL | OPPO UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K (Second Generation)
188 Posts
Under NO circumstances would I even consider purchasing a Microsoft product. There is simply no limit to this company's appetite for power. Even if their technology had a history of quality and innovation (which it certainly doesn't) I wouldn't provide Gates with any more leverage than he's already stolen.

Besides, MS couldn't get the product out of the lab until they had something to copy from Apple.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Besides, MS couldn't get the product out of the lab until they had something to copy from Apple.
Of course, that would have to be after Apple copied it from Xerox.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
Of course, that would have to be after Apple copied it from Xerox.
Then maybe it has gone full circle. I thought Xerox was supposed to be making the first WM9 HD-DVD player. ;)

- Tom

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Well, let's see, we have 5 Slashdot wannabes out of 20 votes. If that percentage stays firm in the long run, then there will be plenty of potential customers for a WM9 set-top box. And I'm glad to see that all the yes votes so far selected MPEG2 support as well.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't ever care to see the Blue screen of death on my TV, nor do I ever want to have to run an update everyday.

Of course on the other hand they would probably make it very insecure and then we wouldn't have to pay for TV anymore.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd buy one, in spite of Microsoft's past heavy-handedness. My only fear would be that at some point the firmware (read: OS) would require updating (repurchasing) with a later version in order to maintain compatibility with new standards/implementations...

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And what if the operating system wasn't Microsoft? What if it was embedded on a chip, maybe even GPL? So far, I think Microsoft has done a great job on their gaming console efforts, and considering my personal experience (which hasn't been in the same troubled-galaxy some of you are coming from with your past experiences) could do wonders for the competition.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Having seen what WM9 is capable of at CEDIA in the Samsung demo recently, I am ready to vote YES for WM9 with my hard-earned dollars, as long as legacy support for MPEG-2 is included as well. Oh, and preferably not more than 500 of those hard-earned dollars, please. Unless it also does HD satellite!

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JFerg
The poll question is a Yes/No type question, yet there is not a "No" option to answer with.
Something other than Yes (such as a No) would be something other than Yes. So, vote Other and state why you chose Other, which is because you chose something other than Yes. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I vote no due to past experience with Microsoft. And, no, I don't read Slashdot.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There really should be a No button since some may think they have to enter something for other. After all, you don't ask people to justify why they would buy. I believe the NO omission skews the results

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.