AVS Forum banner

Would you like your flat panel in Silver or Black ????

• I would like my flat panel to be black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would like my flat panel to be silver

• I would like my flat panel to be black and silver

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,, we all know how most of us HATE silver colored flat panels and Vizio just came out with their new 550 55" LCD,,, I bought one,, love it,,, has a great picture.

But then they put this ugly silver and chrome non-detachable speaker bar on the bottom that just looks cheap.

I remember back when Panasonic made those ugly silver plasma's and there were more than a few on this forum buying cans of black spray paint and doing all kinds of creative things to get rid of the silver,,, (I painted two of them myself).

Sony did the same thing to with those big silver speakers on the sides of the XBR's,,,, everyone called them "dog ears".

Anyhow,, now Vizio is going down that same path of thinking the silver looks good.

I was thinking that it would be great is if everyone that hates silver would email Vizio and let them know how we feel, perhaps they might pay attention and when the new 551 LED 55 incher comes out this summer it will be all black and not have the ugly cheap looking silver as seen in the press release photo.

So hey, take 2 seconds out of your day and email them at both of these address's.

We could even post their replys !!!

If your to lazy to email them just answer the poll and I will email them the results !!!!!

[email protected]
[email protected]

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Stop buying them would be a better approach to get their attention. You can ring the phone or fill up the mail box as much as you want but if sales are at projected or better than projected levels that speaks much louder.

Personally I wouldn't care if it was lime green if the performance/cost ratio was best in class.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/15569373

Stop buying them would be a better approach to get their attention. You can ring the phone or fill up the mail box as much as you want but if sales are at projected or better than projected levels that speaks much louder.

Personally I wouldn't care if it was lime green if the performance/cost ratio was best in class.

I think I would dis-agree,,, if Vizio or any other company got slammed with enough emails and phone calls complaining about a choice in color or a design flaw that company would listen.

Case in point: Panasonic used to make all their panels in silver,, they dont anymore.

I know for a fact from talking with Panasonic reps at CES shows and big box store managers that all the complaints about the silver color did make a difference.

Lime green,,, really

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
184 Posts
I voted black. I wouldn't mind a small amount of silver or other color trim if it was tastefully done and a matte (not shiny) finish. I think for nightime / movie viewing the black works best. Then the bezel disappears into the backgound and doesn't compete with the picuture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well silver is better than those pink LCDs coming out lately (i.e. Sony KDL-20S3070). Nasty... Anyways I think black looks the best. Silver just makes things look cheap.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFlash /forum/post/15573011

Well silver is better than those pink LCDs coming out lately (i.e. Sony KDL-20S3070). Nasty... Anyways I think black looks the best. Silver just makes things look cheap.

I thought about pulling up a picture of the pink Sony you mentioned but then I remembered I was getting ready to eat dinner,,,,,,, I would like to be able to keep my food down.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/15576304

I thought about pulling up a picture of the pink Sony you mentioned but then I remembered I was getting ready to eat dinner,,,,,,, I would like to be able to keep my food down.

Cheers

Davyo

perfect gift for daddys little girl, with an ps3 of course (in pink)

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone so far that has voted on this poll,,, and please keep voting,, I will be forwarding this poll/link to Vizio after the numbers climb a bit more,,,,, hopefully they will read this, and when the up-coming LED 55 incher comes out this summer it wont have any of that ugly gray/silver on it.

Please feel free to email them as well.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15583277

Brushed silver has no reflection. I haven't seen a silver finish that wasn't brushed in 20 years on any electronics

I've always seen it in the silver, brushed or not is less able to absorb light like a black panel does and it still is more "luminated". I've noticed the more pronounced look on one of my friend's Sharp. Even the area around the screen was black, but in the dark, the rest of the bezel of the TV that was silver stood out. Didn't bother me much, but I'd much rather have black so that doesn't stand out as much.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat /forum/post/15583335

I've always seen it in the silver, brushed or not is less able to absorb light like a black panel does and it still is more "luminated". I've noticed the more pronounced look on one of my friend's Sharp. Even the area around the screen was black, but in the dark, the rest of the bezel of the TV that was silver stood out. Didn't bother me much, but I'd much rather have black so that doesn't stand out as much.

I agree. Silver looks cheap and harkens back to 20 years ago

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15583365

I agree. Silver looks cheap and harkens back to 20 years ago

Ditto,,, yes, very 20 years ago and cheap.

A funny thing, a few years I was told by someone in the TV making biz that in Japan silver is very popular and since many of our TV's are made in Japan thats the reason for the silver color in the USA,, many of these panel makers don't understand that while silver might be the color of choice in Japan and some other countries its not the color of choice here in the US market.

On a side note,,,,after bitching at my local cable provider (Cox) for the last few years about wanting a black DVR HD box I just gave up and painted my silver Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR box flat black,,, it looks way better now.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/15583506

Ditto,,, yes, very 20 years ago and cheap.

A funny thing, a few years I was told by someone in the TV making biz that in Japan silver is very popular and since many of our TV's are made in Japan thats the reason for the silver color in the USA,, many of these panel makers don't understand that while silver might be the color of choice in Japan and some other countries its not the color of choice here in the US market.

On a side note,,,,after bitching at my local cable provider (Cox) for the last few years about wanting a black DVR HD box I just gave up and painted my silver Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR box flat black,,, it looks way better now.

Cheers

Davyo

For a lot of people matching all their components is important. I remember when black first came in vogue. Plenty of people screaming that they were being forced to use black

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Below is a copy of the email I just sent to Vizio.

Hey Vizio

I recently purchased the VIZIO VF550XVT 55 incher and gota say I am very happy with it,,, good job,, great panel.

EXCEPT one thing,,, the SILVER colored non-detachable speaker bar,,, really guys,, silver AND non-detachable,,,, not happy with that at all.

In case you dont know or understand how un-popular silver is I took the liberty of posting a poll on www.avsforum.com ,,,,,, asking about silver vs black vs a panel with silver and black,, the poll results are pretty clear

,, the link for the poll is,, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1109219 .

AVS is the biggest audio video forum on the planet and your products get talked about very much by us, the consumers that buy your products,, if you all at Vizio are not going on the AVS forum and reading about

the reaction's and opinions to your products you really should be.

We know you have the new 551 LED 55" panel coming out this summer and its getting quite a bit of buzz on AVS so far,,,,,, could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of the silver/gray'ish color,, or make the speaker bar detachable.

The pictures of the 551 are also posted on a forum thread at AVS and the silver speaker bar aint getting to much love on that forum thread either.

Anyhow,,,, would it be possible to forward this email to your design team, management or your CEO.

Thanks much in advance

Davyo

P.S.

On a side note,,,,, a subwofter out-put would be really reall nice,,,,, the speaker bar on my VF550XVT just cant handle the low end stuff,,, the low end just clips and distorts.

It would really make a huge difference in the overall sound if it was possible to hook-up a subwofter to the panel ,,,,, my Pioneer 6070 60" plasma has a sub output and it really sounds great using a subwofter

to compliment the built-in surround of my Pioneer plasma,,,,,, it would seem like such an easy cheap option to include on a flat panel that would make a huge jump in sound quality,,, A Vizio with a sub output,,

that would be really great.

Below is the reply I got from Vizio

Davyo,

Thank you for your input; we would take your opinion in consideration for our future production.

Best regards,

Ofelia Galindres

Sales Representative

Anyhow,, please take a moment and email Vizio so they dont put out another cheap looking silver panel or for that matter a bright red speaker bar like they just showed at CES.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/15597812

Anyhow,, please take a moment and email Vizio so they dont put out another cheap looking silver panel or for that matter a bright red speaker bar like they just showed at CES.

I was very annoyed when Sony and Panasonic were using silver bezels. But I have no plans to buy a Vizio, so I really don't care what color they use. *shrug*

It's still annoying that companies use these silly, glossy black bezels instead of matte black. But at least it's better than silver.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/15600329

I was very annoyed when Sony and Panasonic were using silver bezels. But I have no plans to buy a Vizio, so I really don't care what color they use. *shrug*

It's still annoying that companies use these silly, glossy black bezels instead of matte black. But at least it's better than silver.

Home Depots sales of black spray paint probaly went down when Panasonic and Sony quit using the cheap looking silver.

Perhaps Vizio has set-up a deal to get a kick-back from Krylon and Home Depot.

Anyhow, I guess I should not have made this thread/poll Vizio specific,, its really meant for all panel makers,,,, ya never know who might be reading these threads on AVS.

Agreed, gloss black does suck as well !!!!!

Cheers

Davyo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts