AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would 100" screen be too big for 9' viewing distance ?

Would 100" screen be too big for 9' viewing distance ?

I am not finishing the walls. Will be getting paneling done on the projector wall - Would like to have the projector screen fixed and then have the panels around it.

I am going to get the dealer install everything in one go - I dont want to tinker the mount or anything later on.

Quite frankly I am confused - just wanted opinions if the screen size of 100" is something people have done at under 10 feet. Too large at that distance you think?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Would you settle for a 100" screen for 9-10 feet viewing distance ?

I am not finishing the walls. Will be getting paneling done on the projector wall - Would like to have the projector screen fixed and then have the panels around it.

I am going to get the dealer install everything in one go - I dont want to tinker the mount or anything later on.

Quite frankly I am confused - just wanted opinions if the screen size of 100" is something people have done at under 10 feet.
At 9' a 100" 16:9 format screen should be large enough.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was at Magnolia HiFi where they had a 92" 16x9 screen. I found myself standing about 6 - 7 feet from the screen in order to feel the immersive effect. So at 10 feet, 100" may be a bit small but it'll probably be ok. But that's me.

I plan on using a 140" diagonal 2.35 screen at 10 feet back. That means for me, a 16x9 image will be 105" wide.

Consider though that on a 16x9 screen, a 2.35 image (which most BluRays are) will have significant letterboxing on the top and bottom of your screen and your movies will be a smaller image than your television watching unless you have a projector that has lens memory and can use the zoom method for anamorphic.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I wonder if most people would consider it too large at 9'
No. There are no such people. There is a tribe of sub-humans who have never watched anything other than an archaic device called a "television set" at home and have not yet been civilized and educated about proper screen sizes, but can they really be called "people" ?

Reactions: siik

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
While all screen manufacturers purport the notion that they offer an array of incremental screen sizes, the reality is that they offer only two: 'Not big enough' and 'Just enough'. There is no size that can be termed as 'Too large'.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Perfect size screen for that viewing distance IMO. I don't think it's too large at all, but everyone's opinion is different.

I sit 10' back from 106" screen and love it.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
I have a 100" 16:9 screen that I view from 10 feet, and it's just about right for me. But I'd have no problem moving my chair forward a foot and viewing it from 9 feet. My wife and I tend to sit near the middle of theaters, and this does a reasonable job of replicating the theater experience. Those who like to sit near the front of theaters might find a 100" screen from 9-10 feet to be too small.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.