AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without DVI, would you still get the 533 if you were buying a 50-55" tv today? Everything I've read says that this is a great TV - even though its two years old. It looks like it has the best stretch modes available which is important because we will be viewing about 75% SD, 20% DVD, 5+% OTA HD. Right now Walmart has it instock for $1686 + $98 shipping, which seems like a steal. But I'm wondering how important DVI will be for future connectivity. I'm not as concerned about DVI vs. Component PQ as it seems about the same. My only other concern is how reflective the screen will be. We have two good size windows that will directly face the tv and even though we have curtains I doubt the wife would let me close them. You know how that goes.

The other tv's I'm looking at are the Hitachi 50v500, Panny 43" ED plasma, Gateway DLP (all about twice the price, but a cool form factor, slightly less PQ, and less maintenance).

help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are many Big Screen RP owners sets that do not have DVI connections from the last few years. The only concern is whether or not the studios will allow HD content to be passed through an analog (component) connection verses a digital connection (DVI ,HDMI). The digital connection is supposed to protect from the signal from being copied. The analog signal offers no protection. You are able to receive HD signals through analog today but that could change. What might happen is the FCC will force the studios to compromise to allow some of their content (ie. Pay-per-view) to only pass though a digital conncection. If it were to go through analog, then the signal would be down-converted to 480 from either 720 or 1080.

Probably other HD content (HBO, Showtime, etc.) will be allowed to continue to be HD through an analog connection. But nothing is made in stone yet.

If you could buy a reasonable priced set with either DVI or HDMI connection then you will be OK if the worst happens (down-convert all HD content through analog connections).

Pioneer is getting out of the RP sets and focusing on Plasma. They do in my opinion produce the best RP set. I own a 630 model. You might find some close out deals on either the 530 or 530HDi models. The 530 has a DVI connection and the 530HDi has a HDMI connection. DVI is video only while HDMI is video and audio. You are probably looking at at least 2500 though.

The future seems to be the HDMI connection so DVI is an interim step but

both will work for passing digital signals.

But your price is extremely good so maybe go with that set for the next 5 years or so and then go for the better technology when is cheaper better.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.